Thread: Berlebach Tripods

Berlebach Tripods

Does anybody know anything about the Berlebach wooden tripods which Calumet is a dvertising? The prices are a lot less than Reis, and are also less than the Zon e VI tripods (which I assume are no longer available). From the pictures, these look an awful lot like the tripods which used to be sold under the Bromwell nam e--are they the same manufacturer? Has anybody had any experience, good or bad, with these?

Berlebach Tripods

To my knowledge, the Bromwells are Berlebach tripods. Here in Germany Berlebach tripods are also sold under Rollei and Hama brand names, sometimes with a differ ent colour than under the Berlebach name. The surface finish of the wood is not as good as for the current Ries tripods, but the stability is quite good. The wo od is ash, not maple. I actually own three of them (different sizes), so it is o bvous that I really like them. One is of the larger "UNI" series with integrated swiveling ball and cranked cen ter post; I bought it because it was a real bargain at the time after the Berlin wall fell (at that time Berlebach was part of VEB Foto-Kino in the former GDR). It is superstable, _very heavy_ and complete overkill for any camera smaller th an 8x10. I use it only for 8x10 and if I am not more than 300 feet from the car. The other two are of the "Report" series, with different leg length; for both I have chosen the two leg section variety for stability reasons. The one I use mo st regularly for LF (not listed in the Calumet catalogue) has long leg sections (around 80cm/section, so I can get the camera easily to eye level), no center po st, no swivel ball, because those compromise stability somewhat for the Report s ize tripods, and add some weight. With a Linhof three-way head (3663)and quick disconnect for my 4x5 it makes a pe rfect combination for me. The third one has shorter leg sections and a center post; I use it mainly for 35 mm.

Berlebach Tripods

I recently puchased a Berlebach tripod for use with my Wista 4X5 Field. I bough t the smallest model with 2 leg sections and a flat platform on top which takes a Bogen head nicely. I have used various Bogens for years but the traditionalist in me wanted to put a wooden tripod under a wooden camera. I found that the pr ice and quality were everything that I hoped and it is been a pleasure to use so far. I got mine from Calumet and as usual the service was superb.

Berlebach Tripods

The thing that makes these tripods so attractive to me is their integral ball head. I purchased a Report 4032 (two-section, with ball head, no center post). It is only 7.75 pounds and can support up to 8x10 ca meras (mine is a heavy 5x7).

The tripod is stable, reasonably well-made, and the ball functions adequately, a lthough it's travel limit is only 30 degress. The wood is free of defects and s imply, but adequately finished. It has threaded rubber pads that can be retracte d or removed to expose leg spikes. It has 20 and 45 degree leg detents and an un restricted setting. Without using extension, the base of my camera is at 3'6". A dding 10 inches of leg extension brings the camera to comfortable viewing height for me (I am 5'11").

No, it isn't a Ries and the ball is not top-end. But at $200 from Calumet with h ead, the Berlebach seems like a great buy.

Re: Berlebach Tripods

Is anyone in a position to debate the relative merits of Ries versus BERLEBACH wooden tripods? What i mean is, is this an apples and orange comparison or they expensive and inexpensive versions of a similar product?

I've been using a Berleback 3032 for the past 2-3 years, and just received a vintage Ries Model A a week or two ago, so I haven't used the Ries yet, but I've handled it enough to offer some first-hand observations.

The big differences are height, weight, and head. The Ries is a significant amount taller that the 3032 and with the Photoplane head is double the weight (13 v. 6.5 lbs). The Ries head will tilt 90 degrees, the built-in ball head on the 3032 gives only 30 degrees. The Ries head is 6 in. wide; the 3032 is 2 to 2.5 in. wide. Two of the Ries legs lock in adjustable positions, all three of the 3032 legs are lockable. The spikes on the reversible Ries legs are much longer and heavier-duty than those on the 3032.

In sum, I wouldn't want to hike very far with the Ries, but it would be superior for studio and outdoor use close to the car b/c of its greater height, weight and larger and greater-angle head.

I've been very happy with the Berlebach--it's a great deal for the price, and has been more than adequate for 95% of what I've needed. My biggest complaint is the small head for 8x10 and up and a few times I've needed another 4 inches or more height.

I also just picked up a vintage Folmer Graflex Crown #4, originally meant to handle 8x10s and up. It's about 3-4 in. shorter than the Ries (but taller than the 3032), has a 6 in diameter head, and weighs 5.5 lbs. It may be a good alternative to both the 3032 and the Ries. We'll see once I get it out in the field....

I have used both and prefer the Ries -

Look closely at the leg position locks which are not pre set on a Ries- which I find one of the biggest advantages of a Ries. You can adjust each Ries leg and then lock its position.

I use a Ries double tilt head which I find to be a great combination.

Berlebach wood shapes are larger and more square edged. The ones I used weighed about the same, but to me it seemed that the Ries had more weight in the hardware and the Berlebach had more wood.

The built in ball adjustments on some Berlebach models is a nice feature, but it is limited in movement to about 15 degress - OK on flat ground, but somewhat limiting when setting up uneven ground.

On the Berlebach model I used, some of the parts where made of plastic - the Ries has more metal.

I have had some experience with Ries ordering additional parts - their service is excellent.

When I was looking Berlebach did have more models to select from and a lower entry price, at the upper end their prices were not that much different from Ries. Ries can be found on the US used market - Berlebach is not as common offered used.

Both were very solid - I think you would be happy with either & if you look closely at the differences you may see why you would prefer one over the other.

You are really not comparing the same thing.

Berlebach makes two lines of tripods, the REPORT series which all of these posts refer to and the bigger, heavier, stronger UNI series which are not as common in the USA but which are available here from any of our dealers. However, while we stock several different REPORT models we currently only stock one version of the UNI.

Additionally Berlebach offers several very strong models in either ash or a combination of ash and carbon fiber for use with large telescopes.

Thanks, Bob--good point!

I do not know the Ries tripod but a French friend of mine has a sturdy Zone VI wooden tripod, probably in the same league as the Ries, which has survived extensive use, really impressive. I like the strong triangular steel spikes under the legs and the small metal step to climb-on allowing you to secure the tripod firmly... at least when you are not inside a building with a concrete or a wooden floor
    To me this kind of robust wooden tripod is really certified for a lifetime's use ! The only objection is the weight, but if you use a 8x10" camera, you'll need something strong.

However for 4x5" and medium format use I am really happy with a lighweight Berlebach Nr. 8013, 3 sections, plain head without central column. It's weight is 2.2 kg and checking the official specs it is rated by the manufacturer for 10 kg (22 lbs), not 8 kg (18 lbs) as I thought. If you look at good aluminum tripods rated for 10 kg-22 lbs you'll find that they are substantially heavier, in the 3-3.5 kg (7-8 lbs) range. In order to get a similar weigth and similar (or better) load capacity, you have to go fo a carbon fibre tripod. usually they ar more expensive than the Berlebachs.

A cheap improvement I made to my Nr. 8013 is simply to add rubber caps to the bottom of the legs, I simply found them at a hardware store, rubber "feet" @1 euro each used for metal chairs.

In combination with a good ballhead I found the 8013 perfect for outdors and backpacing with a compact 4x5 camera (I have the Arca Swiss F-field). Sure, even rated for 10 kg, I would probably look for a bigger tripod for extensive use of my 4x5 with, say, a 800 mm apo-ronar lens !

For landscape use, I have never missed the central column, (model Nr. 8023 for example).

This Berlebach tripod being not very expensive I do not hesitate to carry it everywhere and I'm free in mind in case something would happen to it. The fact that the legs slides are totally open to dust allows sand to go off as quickly as it would go in. Really easy to clean. And it would be really cheap and easy to replace an element of the leg if damaged or broken.

For example, leg locks use a very common M6x1 screw, very easy to replace, as common in Europe as the photographic standard 1/4"-20 tpi in some other non-metric parts of the world

I'm not affiliated, etc..., but there is a very interesting (tantalizing, actually) Berlebach "mini" tripod, the small models Nr. 50031 and 50032 (the 50032 is similar but with the 30° levelling ballhead). Rated for 8 kg/18 lbs, they could in principle easily support my 4x5" camera for some applications close to ground !