Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PORTFOLIO SHOWING MIDWEST - January 22

PORTFOLIO SHOWING MIDWEST - January 22

The Midwest Large Format Asylum will hold its 4th annual large format portfolio showing on January 22, 2011. It is a very enjoyable day to meet fellow large format shooters and to view their photographs. We usually have about 12-15 portfolios.

We will be returning to last year's site:

Best Western Indian Oak
    558 Indian Boundry Road
    Chesterton, Indiana 46304-1515
    (219) 926-2200

Chesterton is a great centralized location for our friends who travel from Iowa, Illinois, Wisconson, Ohio, and Michigan. It is also just a few miles from the Indiana Dunes National Park on the shoreline of Lake Michigan.

Many arrive on Friday and stay until Sunday while others attend just on Saturday. More up to date information can be found on our website www.midwestlargeformat.com

Hope you will mark January 22nd on your calendar and join us for a day of viewing amazing images shot with 4X5, 5X7, 8X10, 7X17, 8X20, 11X14 cameras.

Rick Tapio

Re: PORTFOLIO SHOWING MIDWEST - January 22

Only one month away. Mount your prints. Make your plans to come.

Less than 3 weeks away. Bring on those prints.

BTW, there is no admission fee. Lunch will be brought in from a local restaurant at each individual's expense as well as any overnight costs.

This portfolio viewing is shaping up to be the biggest & best yet. There is no judging, just looking and enjoying. You don't need to bring a portfolio to attend.

Hope you will consider joining us for a full day of prints made with large format capture.

Hi Rick,

Can you tell me what time you plan to start? Is there a scheduled list of events or is this just a print sharing get together?

Thanks

Jim

We usually gather for breakfast around 8:00-ish, and folks start mingling in the meeting room about 9:00. It's a print sharing get-together, very informal, much laughter. There's a space at the front of the room where one can line up a row of prints in decent light. The usual route is someone volunteers to show some prints, sets them up and says a few words about them, then everyone goes up to look and ask questions, etc. It can happen that someone will pick up a print for a better look, so if you're the sort who views prints as precious, only to be touched by fresh cotton gloves, say something to that effect, don't just assume that everyone knows. There is ample time to discuss particular prints, techniques, locations, etc. during the course of the day. Plan to make new friends and renew your enthusiasm!

There will be breaks occasionally and sometimes someone will set up a new camera for others to see (last year we had a new Chamonix 11x14 to look at, and a lovely Canham 7x17.) There will be great variety in prints; technique, subject, presentation, etc. It isn't a curated show, there's no topic, no rules, no requirements other than that the photographs have been made using a large format camera. Inkjet prints as well as real photographs (!) are welcome You don't need to bring prints to show if you don't want to but are encouraged to even if you think Weston would spit on them. We're not a monolithic group and don't share any particular vision other than that we enjoy using large format cameras. Alternative processes are encouraged; last year we had a quick tutorial on carbon printing and I'm pretty sure carbon printing supply vendors saw a bit of an upturn in sales because of it. Prior years we've had tutorials on mixing your own chemicals, too, but I have no idea if anything like that is up for this year or not.

I'm easy to spot: I'm the fellow with the white beard, cowboy hat and a camera of some sort around my neck (maybe this year the not-legendary Petri rangefinder!!!) There, you already know someone so there's no reason not to show up!

Mike
    Politically, aerodynamically, and fashionably incorrect.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot about the spitting part.

Mike pretty well covered the basics. The day is very informal...no rules...just enjoying. If you bring prints, we will have you draw a number out of a hat to determine when you would show them.

Hope you can make it.

Rick Tapio

Only 2 weeks away. So far, we have 18 people confirmed (weather permitting). That adds up to a lot of great images and our largest gathering.

Hope you consider driving to Chesterton, IN for the day.

Rick Tapio

Quote Originally Posted by jim kipfer View Post
    Hi Rick,

Can you tell me what time you plan to start? Is there a scheduled list of events or is this just a print sharing get together?

Thanks

Jim
    Jim,

Come join us.

Last year there were enough people showing that we were looking at fresh new work from roughly 9 AM to 2:30 PM including a brought in lunch. That pretty much wiped people out, no additional items scheduled, or in my case needed.

Though Canham makes a beautiful 7x17, the one shown was my RH Phillips 7x17.

John

Only one week away. Pack up those print & we'll see you next weekend in Chesterton, Indiana.

Rick Tapio

Only a couple days away now. There will be several people driving in tomorrow morning and will explore the Indiana Dunes National Park and possibly some of the Lake Michigan lighthouses. The temps will be frigid, but should make for some good ice formations. If you are thinking about joining the group tomorrow, to meet up with everyone, you can find cell numbers to call in the forum section at www.midwestlargeformat.com

The weather is looking good (no snow storms) so the attendance be our largest in 4 years. We will begin at 9 am, so get there a little earlier to check in as we need to know your lunch selection and you need to draw a number to determine your place in the order of presentations. There are no admission fees, but we will take up a good-will donation.

It's going to be a great day of large format images. Hope you can join us.

Rick Tapio