Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pelican 1620

Pelican 1620

Has anyone used a Pelican 1620 for work, and not just equipment storage?
    I have a rather large case for my LF gear, it holds everything, but it's set up in layers; I have to dig around for everything, and by the time I'm set up for a shot, the case is a mess.
    The 1620 looks large enough for what I need, and it seems that it's also large enough so that everything will be within easy reach whilst working.
    I'm talking about a Toyo monorail, with 5x7 back, 4-5 lenses, backs, extra rails, meter, etc.
    Here's a photo:
    http://www.digitalcamerawarehouse.com.au/prod3531.htm

Re: Pelican 1620

I had the Calumet version of this case when I was dragging my monorail around. I absolutely hated it. It was a very nice case, wheels and handles were nice, very sturdily built. But it was a monster. If you were out in flat open land it was just fine. But in and out of the house, car, rv, it was just a pain.
    Go buy some film, and release the magic.

I keep my ULF stuff in one of those. Tim is right, but all ULF equipment is that way with or without a case. :-) But I like mine, it's perfect for what I need.

The sad thing is, as much as I hated dragging that case around, I wish I had it back.

Perhaps with the new 11x14 I could tell myself that the case was just right.

Guess there is no making some people happy.
    Go buy some film, and release the magic.

Pelicans are tough and watertight but I had the snaps fail on me once and swore them off. The other downside is that they are pretty heavy if you are traveling by air or shipping your equipment. Also, the wheels are too small for rough or long dragging, and if they break you're out of luck. And, any way you'd try to pack a monorail and all the small parts so that it would be easy to work out of would be too "loose" for shipping.

What works better, I think, it to break your components down into groups you can pack into individual cases -- like all the holders into one case, all the lenses into something like the Gnass Gear lens case (fishing reel style or Photobackpacker style), all the small gadgets into a small ditty bag, and then a nice padded, custom cut place for the camera.

When I would travel with a monorail system I used the Tenba or Lightware dedicated monorail cases (6-7 years ago w a Sinar Norma or Arca system for architecture). Both brands are excellent, with camera cradles that are secure and padded enough to fly or ship the camera safely.

In use, the camera is fast to retrieve and then the case is easy to work out of for all the smaller pieces. Packing up is equally easy. The softer nylon sides are easier on interiors and your legs, and the overall case is lighter than a Pelican. I would use a small folding luggage cart rather than wanting integral wheels - the advantage of the cart is the wheels are larger and if they gum up and fail you replace the cart instead of the case. I have a $100 Kart-A-Bag that will also carry a large LiteWare Cargo bag for tripods and such. In the car, they fit into the backseat or trunk of a mid-size rental easily.

I think the Tenba/Lightware cases are in the $4-500 range, last I checked there are 4x5 and 8x10 sizes and they also will make you a custom case. I bought them on eBay before too. They aren't small or cheap (or waterproof) but I think they're a better day-to-day case to work out of.

Hard Anvil-style cases are another option if you want something tougher than a Pelican... not as absolutely water-tight but for all practical purposes they probably are - plus you can climb on them. They are heavy but they are now inexpensive used if you can handle the shipping costs.

I bought one that is even larger. Can't remember the model number. I wanted to put a monorail in it with some 8x10 film holders. That thing was a beast. It does the job of protecting gear, and has wheels. But when loaded down, it can be like pushing a car. Trying to lift it is begging for an appointment with an orthopedist.

I think it would be best for permanent residence in the back of an SUV or dragging around in a studio or big building. But field use would require some determination.

Right now I do use the Calumet monorail case. The camera sits on cradles and I've added some velcro dividers, but like I said, the rest of my stuff is packed vertically, and I haven't yet figured out how I'll keep the lenses secure. Part of the problem is that the case is so deep (17") so I'm kind of forced to build vertically.
    The appeal of the 1620 lies in having everything laid out on one plane, with nothing on top of or below something else.
    Maybe I'll have a look at some newer monorail cases, they might have built-in compartments like the more traditional Sinar cases.
    Thanks all; Frank, you're a font of practical knowledge.

I use a Pelican 1690 for my 16x20 camera and a reducing back and four holders, plus some lenses. I wrap my camera in a sleep bag and let it lie at the bottom and everything else are on top.

I have also bought a Frost River pack to back pack my 16x20 camera and two holders when I need to walk some distance from the car. That pack stays inside 1690 as well.

Peter

I keep my Sinar P and a couple of lenses, light meter, filters, and clamps in mine. I keep a box of small misc. goodies in the top tier above the clamps. I keep my film holders in a separate light tight bag or box in the interest of keeping them dark and dust free. Here's a shot I took of it to illustrate the space.

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Hugo Zhang View Post
    I use a Pelican 1690 for my 16x20 camera and a reducing back and four holders, plus some lenses. I wrap my camera in a sleep bag and let it lie at the bottom and everything else are on top.

I have also bought a Frost River pack to back pack my 16x20 camera and two holders when I need to walk some distance from the car. That pack stays inside 1690 as well.
    Please post some pics of that! I would love to see that.