Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Latest on traveling by plane?

Latest on traveling by plane?

My recent experience fits with the above info, BUT a recent poster to Photo.net noted that when a carry-on bag went through the security x- ray and the personnel couldn't identify the contents, they x-rayed it again at a higher dose. You can buy 8x10 without in Paris, so if you're flying there first, stock up and then head out of town. If you're flying into Marseille or Lyon then you should check availability first.

Be aware that film in France (like anything photographic) is significantly more expensive than in the US.

I would like to add to my previous post that I am not worried about my personal work. However if I was flying somewhere to shoot for a client, ( I am not a professional, only hypothetical), I would probably arrange to have film available for purchase when I got there and have it processed before bringing it home. The way things operate in my universe, the more important something is seems to be directly proportional to chance of something screwing it up.

I just flew to Las Vegas from Philadelphia, and Austin from BWI, then back. The first trip they would not hand-check my 120 film at either airport. The second trip they hand-checked politely at both airports. I find they are more likely to hand-check if they are not too busy, and if when they say "Oh, it's only 160 ISO, it won't affect film that slow" you answer in a plaintive tone, "But I'm afraid it's cumulative, some of these have already been x-rayed a couple of times." They hear that.

By the way, my SwissCard, which has a sharp knife in it, sailed through the carry-on x-ray four times undetected.