Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Uneven development - Pyroact HD with JOBO 1520 & 120 film

Uneven development - Pyroact HD with JOBO 1520 & 120 film

Hello,

After longer time of using Pyrocat HD as my main developer I got recently problems with uneven development with Jobo 1520 drum with inversion agitation.

Let me first describe my development procedure then I will post some samples:

- I develop two 120 films on one reel inside the JOBO 1520 drum. I do use thatlittle plastic piece to avoid accidental overlapping of films

- Films I hve developed concern Ilford Delta 400, Delta 100, FP4+. Apart from slightly longer development the procedure for Delta 400 is very similar to that of Delta 100 and FP4+.

- Please note - all these photos were taken with Mamiya 6 what implies that top part of the image was pointing to the top of the JOBO drum what means that what is horizontal on film was horizontal inside the drum as well.

- Development temperature is mostly 21 degrees Celsius and I do take care to keep the temperature of subsequent liquids within 1 degree.

Development for fp4+ and Delata 100 films (I use the same times):
    1) 4 minutes prewash in clean water
    2) Pyrocat HD 1:1:100, 500 ml, 9 minutes total time, inversions first 45 seconds than 4 inversions at the end of 3 and 6 minute.
    3) 4 minutes water stop - inversions first 60 seconds than every minute a few
    4) Ilford fixer (1:4) 10 minutes - inversions every minute
    5) 10 minutes was using the JOBO hose (so it is continuos)
    6) 1 minute in Photo Flo
    7) hang over night to dry (in our bathroom)

My questions:

1) this looks very much like insufficient agitation. I did use 4 inversions every minute in the past and got better results, but I would prefer the 3 minute intervals. Should I do more inversions than 4 per agitation interval to avoid this problems?

2)Many use semi stand method with Jobo drums - do I do anything else than agitation wrong?

3) What is your approach with Pyrocat HD and Jobo drums? Should I change times or dilution or .. ? I would be interested to use a slow motor base, but none on them market are built for drums as small as Jobo 1520.

Now the samples:

Please note that there are large versions on flickr if you click on the images. The full series is HERE (5 more images than linked below).

I am showing the worst ones here, but most of these films have slightly darker top and bottom edges with fine structure.

Your help will be much appreciated ...
    Matus

Re: Uneven development - Pyroact HD with JOBO 1520 & 120 film

two more samples:

Matus

I think using inverse agitation on a 1520 tank could be your problem.. these tanks were not designed for inverse agitation they were designed for rotary processing. Why not roll it? I used to put mine on a cheap uniroller before I got a Jobo and it worked great.

Eric Nelson

I've used the 1500 series via inversion when I found that Microdol X and Tmax 100 were not compatible w/rotary processing and created odd marks near the 35mm sprocket holes. I had no problems with the inversion method (5 secs of agitation every 30 secs) w/that film/developer/tank combo nor other developers but Pyrocat HD, as I understand it, is 'designed' to be used in rotary.
    I would certainly go for more inversions/agitation as this appears to be uneven development but offhand I don't know what that amount would be with PHD.

OK, it really seems that the reason is insufficient agitation. The question is whether I should go back to agitation every minute, or just add more inversions after 3 and 6 minute. I know I have to test, but would be interested in your opinion.
    Matus

Eric Nelson

Unless you can find documented recommendations for any kind of semi-stand development, I would start with every minute agitation at the least unless you find evidence to the contrary.

I don't know of any reason to try to decrease agitation except for the decrease in effort. If previously you had made 4 inversions per minute and then cut back to this semi-stand procedure, that is a major change.

Pyrocat HD allows for the use of stop bath which extends the life of your fixer.

Also, the recommended time for Ilford rapid fixer is 2-5 minutes so you're going way over the time needed there. Probably won't hurt anything but is completely unnecessary. I do 5 minutes for all my films no matter what the developer. For pyro development I use rapid fix without the hardner added.

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

How are you performing your inversion agitation? Is it end-over-end, or sort of a side roll wrist action?

You may want to simply be more vigorous when you agitate. Maybe not like what Kodak recommended for processing film in Technidol (martini shake), but get more movement in the fluid.

David Schaller

FWIW, I do three inversions every minute, and have not had inconsistent development. Why don't you try that as a first step?
    Dave

Thank you, I will certainly go back to agitation every minute.

Yes - "one agitation" means turning the drum down and up. I usually turn the drum around its rotation axis a bit after every inversion.

I wanted to try semi-stand to get stronger effect on highlights (saving them). But probably JOBO is not really suitable for that.

My fixing times - I found that longer times are needed to completely wash away the magenta colored dyes with Delta 100 & 400 films (and also TMax films which I do not use now). Even with fresh fixer and rigorous agitation I find that 5 minutes will leave a magenta base on the films.

But I am wondering why/how do I manage to nearly fully wash away the imprints (film name and frame numbers) from FP4+ films. Id does not seem to happen with Delta 100 & 400.
    Matus

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

The "imprints" on the edge of the film are made at the factory with a light printer. How they look depends on how you develop the film.