I am an artist and want to make 4x5 transparencies of my representational painti ngs (landscapes, figures, avg size 20x24 to 40x48, rarely 60x72 inches). Faithf ul color rendition is critical. I need equipment advice. Low cost is a strong c onsideration due to the limited nature of the application.

I have considerable experience making 35mm transparencies of paintings, and am c ompetent with the basics. About 15 years ago, I aquired a used Calumet 8x10 w/ 3 00mm Caltar Pro/Copal 3 and a heavy Gitzo tripod (it seemed like a good deal at the time) which I used for a brief time making some B&W copies of larger paintin gs (6ftx8ft). The camera seems to perform satisfactorily (i.e. no leaks in the b ellows), though I never tried any color work. As I see it my options are:

1. Buy a 4x5 reducer back for my 8x10. Probably the easiest and cheapest route, but: The 8x10 is a beast to set up and take down. Will this lens/shutter give m e good color rendition? Are there other possible problems using the reducer back & the 300 mm lense?

2. Buy a used 4x5 body & use my current lense & shutter. Will this work?

3. Sell the 8x10 & start over? Where could I sell it? In ballpark figures how much would I sell it for? (it is at least a 9) What would be a good 4x5 camera f or this type of work -- obviously little if any movement would be necessary? Wha t focal length lens would I need to give me the equivalent of 50 mm in 35 mm for mat?

4. Other?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, and I thank you in advance.