Thread: Rodenstoch GERONAR 90mm/8 ??? Ever heard of?

Rodenstoch GERONAR 90mm/8 ??? Ever heard of?

first of all thanx to everybody for their answers on my last questions concerning which wideangle lens to buy. i still don't know yet, but i will find out soon.

surfing the web i found another interesting specimen:

a RODENSTOCK GERONAR 90mm/8.

what kind of a lens is this? when were they manufatured? were they multicoated? what imagecirle do they have?...

maybe somebody knows. would be nice. thanx again. thomas

Like the 150, 210 and the 300 the 90 WA was made as a basic lens of modest coverage and in a shallsize so a student cuuld afford tfhem. There Are much better lrnses out there for more money

Thomas, you are on the right track now. A 90 f8 wide angle will match up with the Toyo 45A. You can still get front movements using a flat lensboard, and you will not need to drop the bed, as with a shorter wide angle lens ( although, I do use the shallow recessed lensboard with the 90SW on my Toyo. It takes the compression off of the bellows and allows for easier front movements). A few years ago, I had a Geronar 90 f8 . It had a very small image circle and showed a lot of fall off around the edges. It also was mounted in a Copal 3 shutter.A good beginners lens, but not a good match for the Toyo 45A. Look for a 90 f8 that is mounted in a Copal 0 shutter. Most of them are. Try looking at the mpex.com website They have many used ones in stock right now. You may want to E- mail Jim. He is the large format person there. He can help you to find a lens to fit your budget.Midwest Photo Exchange ships all over the world.

"It also was mounted in a Copal 3 shutter"

Not by Rodenstock

Its a double Gauss design, like the Kodak Wide field Ektar, with 4 meniscus lenses. A budget wide angle lens. From a 1988 German Rodenstock Brochure:

Angle of coverage 85 degees at f/22, 170mm image circle; that means you are rather limited in movements, to 10 and 12mm for 4x5. Smallest aperture f/32 (according to the brochure). It came in a Copal 1. Filter size 58mm. No mentioning if its multicoated or not. Rodenstock discontinued it in the early nineties (my 1993 brochure doesn't list it anymore).

You're right, as usual, Bob. My Greonar was mounted in a Copal 1. But, as I remember, it had a mounting ring, like a Copal 3. I had difficulty mounting it on my Wisner lensboard. Thanks for correcting my geriatric memory. Geronar = geriatric. That's why I will never buy another Geronar.