Thread: DHL and xrays

DHL and xrays

Hi

I would urgently need help. I was recently shooting in Azerbaijan and was forced to leave my exposed rolls of films with my contact person at the airport as they refused hand inspection and their Xray machines were meant for checked in luggage. I need to get the film out of the country but when I contacted DHL they told me that it is more than likely that the package will be xrayed at a transit point. Could anyone advice me what to do? I need to get them to London as soon as possible!

Re: DHL and xrays

Usually packages are scanned with the same type of scanners as carry on luggage, which are safe for films, because of the speed and easy of use, also safety of the operatives. They are then scanned separately with deeper Xray type machines if there's something suspicious showing up.

People ship film around the world all the time, with no issues, all parcels are scanned before flights these days, but there are multi language Film - Do Not Xray labels you can down load and place on the package.

Ian

You could also have film placed in a lead lined pouch- they used to be available at any camera store for just that purpose. Of course I haven't any idea what is available in Central Asia, but wrapping in any lead foil should work.

I believe that most border officials are too paranoid to let anything pass without x-rays. lead-lined bags would flag as dangerous/potential threat, so more likely destroyed or damaged.

I would split the film up and send it two different times/ways or hold onto half.

ARS KC2UU

Quote Originally Posted by halberstadt View Post
    You could also have film placed in a lead lined pouch- they used to be available at any camera store for just that purpose. Of course I haven't any idea what is available in Central Asia, but wrapping in any lead foil should work.
    I agree with other posters that using lead-linings to protect film probably does more harm than good these days.

My last trip through Quebec airport and they insisted to open up Efke factory sealed infrared films that were sealed with aluminum foil.

So I don't recommend the lead linings either.
    All natural images are analog. But the retina converts them to digital on their way to the brain.