Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Puyo lens

Re: Puyo lens

I think the explanation is that the apparent falling out of C. Puyo and de Pulligny (artistic temperaments) and the collapse of Darlot, lead to a large number of O d'A makers.
    Although Turillon and Ligny are the best known (already active in 1906) there were plenty of others, some with names some without names (yours Jim?). Some have the name Puyo or de Pulligny -without any mention of the other. The quality of the brasswork looks just as splendid as the Darlot engraved types
    There have been quite a few of these unknown O d'A and Landscape meniscus varieties sold on that site within the last year and I and others have mentioned them the soft lens sales thread. I thought that some of these may be Darlot unsold stock (and not engraved yet) and sold as special offers!
    The "2nd quality" lenses from Darlot and Turillon were undoubtedly engraved!
    What is the lens diameter of your 560cm O d'A and does it have 2 symmetrical cells?

I have since learned that my "Photo Amateur" is one of the versions that followed the demise of Darlot.
    Photo Amateur was a small shop who like to have their engraving on lenses/cameras. An identically engraved, smaller version, went through ebay last year.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails photoamateurshop.jpg  
    Last edited by Steven Tribe; 21-Mar-2012 at 14:38.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Tribe View Post
    I think the explanation is that the apparent falling out of C. Puyo and de Pulligny (artistic temperaments) and the collapse of Darlot, lead to a large number of O d'A makers.
    Although Turillon and Ligny are the best known (already active in 1906) there were plenty of others, some with names some without names (yours Jim?). Some have the name Puyo or de Pulligny -without any mention of the other. The quality of the brasswork looks just as splendid as the Darlot engraved types
    There have been quite a few of these unknown O d'A and Landscape meniscus varieties sold on that site within the last year and I and others have mentioned them the soft lens sales thread. I thought that some of these may be Darlot unsold stock (and not engraved yet) and sold as special offers!
    The "2nd quality" lenses from Darlot and Turillon were undoubtedly engraved!
    What is the lens diameter of your 560cm O d'A and does it have 2 symmetrical cells?

I have since learned that my "Photo Amateur" is one of the versions that followed the demise of Darlot.
    Photo Amateur was a small shop who like to have their engraving on lenses/cameras. An identically engraved, smaller version, went through ebay last year.
    The small one is mine. The large one is Eddie's. Both have barrel machine work interchangeable with other Darlot lenses I have, so I believe them to be made in that period although perhaps the lack of inscription on the large one is because of an overlap, ie. Darlot mfg. someone else sold?

The brasswork is identical to mine - even the small details match. The only difference is that mine (Photo amateur) has the pinion drive and engraving on the other side, and, of course, the rear extension of the flange and bayonet fitments everywhere.
    Ligny was a producer of optical glass and may have supplied the "superior" quality of glass mentioned in the Turillon advert. And this is perhaps why they went into the photographic business when Darlot lost interest, to preserve an outlet.

Another contribution which gives yet another Puyo version!

This time it is engraved with a new name "Trousse d'Atelier".
    This is a sold item from a Parisian dealer in the recent past.
    It is the same casket set as the one I bought (size, lenses) but this one is engraved from Darlot.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails frenchpuyo4.jpg   french puyo1.jpg   frenchpuyo3.jpg