Thread: Greetings from Cambridge UK!

Greetings from Cambridge UK!

Hi everybody. I'm new to the forum but actually not quite so new to large format photography, as I've been dabbling with it on and off for about three years now. At the moment it's more on than off so I thought I'd seek out some like minded people and see what inspiration strikes

So briefly: I shoot with an Arca Swiss F-field 5x4. I shoot pretty much anything that takes my fancy. So portraits, landscapes, fashion, and just random stuff. What stops me shooting a lot is the effort to get everything together and out of the door, the weight of the equipment and the fact I really don't like drawing attention to myself (almost impossible, alas).

Oh yes, here she is:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/oneplus...7600719283961/

And here's an example of what she can do:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/oneplus...7603124364753/

There it is in a nutshell. Hello

A

Re: Greetings from Cambridge UK!

Greetings Andrew,
    Welcome to the forum.
    You live in a beautiful city, show us some of the archetecture.
    Best wishes,
    Pete.

Thanks Pete, I do plan to get out and about and take some photos of the local architecture. I just need an assistant to help me carry all the stuff and fend off the inevitable questions from passers-by!

Andy

Welcome to group therepy! Can't help drawing attention to yourself with LF cameras...get used to it, even learn to enjoy it! Nice church shot.

Thanks Vick, actually i don't mind standing about and chatting with people who are interested in what I'm doing, but i do get nervous about having all of my gear out in a busy street, especially when focussing. Not just because of opportunity for theft, but also I worry about people tripping over or knocking over the gear. It's quite a vulnerable position to be in. I think I'll start a new thread asking how people deal with this, unless i find one somebody has already started

Thanks for the compliment too, i much prefer quiet spaces!

If you drive north-east, past Ely, you will find plenty of open spaces, where you can practice without being disturbed, apart from a few pike anglers. There are isolated pubs too on the canal/river banks.

Hi Andrew,

Welcome. I'm a longtime lurker, occasional poster but almost always come here first with questions. Searching usually brings up an answer that is useful.

Anyway, I work for a company based in Cambridge and get there several times a year. Haven't had much time to really shoot but plan to on the next trip is it comes about in November.

Contact me if you'd be interested to get a coffee and chat about photography and perhaps talk a walk and make some images.

Larry

Hey Steven, yeah, there are some lovely scenes in the fens. I should get out and find them. Actually I have a bit of a thing for pubs, windmills, lighthouses, piers and churches and there are a few around Cambridgeshire, Norfolk and Suffolk which would make interesting subjects. Along with seaside towns in general, I think that's kind of my "thing".

Larry, yeah, would be more than happy to meet up for a chat about photography if we're both about at the same time! Give me a shout

A