Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shooting Provia (4x5) for the first time! Any tips?

Shooting Provia (4x5) for the first time! Any tips?

I have four sheets of provia loaded and I am planing to shoot them off tomorrow. I will use a digital slr to meter but I also will take the sekonic l508.

Having only shot Foma so far(and only a few sheets), could you give me some advice on how to shoot Provia?

Ps. During loading, i have noticed that the provia feels a lot thicker than the Foma. I have checked the specifications and it seems Foma is 0.175mm while Provia is .204mm thick. Why is this so? Is this common for all transparencies? Could it be that the foma is missing a protective layer which the Provia has?

ARS KC2UU

Re: Shooting Provia (4x5) for the first time! Any tips?

I have shot hundreds of frames of Provia in 35-mm, 120, and maybe 100 or so sheets with 4x5" and a few with 8x10".

I've been using it through all 3 of its iterations: RDP, RDP II, and RDP III. I actually prefer the older emulsions for cityscapes at sunset and I prefer it's slightly less saturated colors over Velvia.

I shoot it at it's rated speed, ASA 100, and almost always use a 2-stop graduated ND to darken the sky if there is a lot of sky in my composition.

Here's an example I did on RDP II many years ago when I dabbled in 8x10 for a short while. Not the best scan but a good idea of how it behaves slightly after sunset. f22 @ 30sec no filters. Sky was ev 5.5 at the start. Lens 12" Ilex-Calumet Caltar

I think you're going to like Provia. I do.

Cheers. Bob G.
    All natural images are analog. But the retina converts them to digital on their way to the brain.

I have found that its sorta important to point it in the right direction. Don't ask me how I know.
    Go buy some film, and release the magic.

120Bin,
    To add to what rguinter has stated, I have noticed a bluish cast to Provia at all formats. Henceforth sunsets are excellent times to use Provia. I currently use Astia for Portraiture.
    Anthony
    4x5 CG

ARS KC2UU

Yes Provia does like to go a bit blue. But I'm a blue-lover so I don't mind.

Here are some more examples in 4x5. Cheers. BG
    All natural images are analog. But the retina converts them to digital on their way to the brain.

Any tips on exposure/metering?

I have had great success with Provia RPDII - especially when it is expired! I rate it at ASA 100 and find it great for contrasty against the light scenes. Seems to work particually well with my Verito lens.

ARS KC2UU

Quote Originally Posted by l2oBiN View Post
    Any tips on exposure/metering?
    Shouldn't be any surprises or adjustments... as there is with Velvia.

I personally don't use or even think about zone systems. Most of my photos are outdoors and in sunlight I meter off a gray card with a spot meter. Or (in absence of a gray card which is most of the time) I meter off green foliage for my base reading.

Then sometimes adjusting up or down a bit depending on which elements (brighter or darker) in my scene I want perfectly exposed.

If any confusion then bracket. Film and processing costs are cheap compared to the costs in time, effort, and money for the "getting there" where the good photo opportunities are.

here's another after-sunset shot. I guess you can see that Provia is one of my favorite transparency films... although I am becoming quite fond of Ektar 100 now that I'm shooting more C-41 films.

Cheers. Bob G.

Thank you everyone for your tips. Cool shot Bob. I was wondering do you find shooting after sunset the beat as it equals out the sky and foreground in exposure? Is there a sweetspot?

Bob,
    Absolutely gorgeous. The shot I posted is timed at 30 sec. If I am correct your last post along with your previous post of the mountain and lake are also in that time range.
    120bin,
    I also have not noticed any shifts within exposure. I use the sekonic L398 meter. I must also add that I have not exposed provia beyond 30 seconds.
    Anthony