Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Manipulated Negatives

Re: Manipulated Negatives

Quote Originally Posted by gandolfi View Post
    distressed negatives?
    yes - I do it a lot.

the MASTER (in my book) of distressing negatives is Michal Machu from the Check republic.

He has a (secret, I think) technique, where he can lift off the emulsion on a negative - put it in another surface, and then the distressing goes on...

He calls this technique "Gellages"..

Take a look at his site - and whe you do it, take a look at his carbon prints also...

He certainly raises the bar a lot (for me).

http://www.michal-macku.eu/
    Now THAT'S what I'm talking about!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian C. Miller View Post
    Excellent!

I think I know how he is lifting the gelatin. I remember reading Bernhard Seuss' book, and he detailed how he did an archival wash by soaking the prints for a long time. Once, he was testing out a new paper, and the gelatin slid right off! He considered this as being a failure, but it looks like Machu found the same thing and decided that it was a success.
    I always assumed it was carbon tissue not gelatin that was lifted and rearranged

Quote Originally Posted by Brian C. Miller View Post
    Excellent!

I think I know how he is lifting the gelatin. I remember reading Bernhard Seuss' book, and he detailed how he did an archival wash by soaking the prints for a long time. Once, he was testing out a new paper, and the gelatin slid right off! He considered this as being a failure, but it looks like Machu found the same thing and decided that it was a success.
    I'm quite sure it is not a lifting of the positive.
    I have tried to soak different papers for a loooong time, and yes, the emulsion falls of, but in a very, very messy way.

I've been told (or read - I don't remember), that he has invented a technique, where he - as Jnanian says - can lift of the intire negative as done in polaroid emulsion lifts..

One problem here, though: in many of his images, it looks like there are many (distorted) images, coming from the same negative...
    He could have made many negative copies OR it could actually be a positive lift...

I honestly dont know, as he has never disclosed his technique...

But at the end of the day, he is a master in what he is doing!

multiplex

Quote Originally Posted by gandolfi View Post
    I'm quite sure it is not a lifting of the positive.
    I have tried to soak different papers for a loooong time, and yes, the emulsion falls of, but in a very, very messy way.

I've been told (or read - I don't remember), that he has invented a technique, where he - as Jnanian says - can lift of the intire negative as done in polaroid emulsion lifts..

One problem here, though: in many of his images, it looks like there are many (distorted) images, coming from the same negative...
    He could have made many negative copies OR it could actually be a positive lift...

I honestly dont know, as he has never disclosed his technique...

But at the end of the day, he is a master in what he is doing!
    hi emil

the polaroid emulsion lifts were for the positive print ..
    i didn't realize it was the negative he removes
    from the substrate / film &C ..

that is pretty amazing ...

thanks again for the link !
    john

Based on the description of the technique on his website, it sounds as if he's lifting the positive not the negative.
    "The technique consists of transfer the exposed and fixed photographic emulsion from its original base on paper..."

On paper.

way way back in time,1980's emulsion strippers were the norm for publications.
    most worked from positive trans. once the strip was done the emulsion was put into its place. not hard to imagine the options at the stage where you could stress it.

Quote Originally Posted by cyrus View Post
    Based on the description of the technique on his website, it sounds as if he's lifting the positive not the negative.
    "The technique consists of transfer the exposed and fixed photographic emulsion from its original base on paper..."

On paper.

Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    way way back in time,1980's emulsion strippers were the norm for publications.
    most worked from positive trans. once the strip was done the emulsion was put into its place. not hard to imagine the options at the stage where you could stress it.
    What is an emulsion stripper?

I typed in "Strippers" in google and didn't get any relevant results. Lots of really good non-relevant results though...

A emulsion stripper was a person working in a pre press house that would put pages together and would lift the emulsion off transparancies and put them into the page layout on an other mylar. this composite would then be used along with the type and plates would be made for printing.
    There probably are some people here who may have done this job.

What is an emulsion stripper?

I typed in "Strippers" in google and didn't get any relevant results. Lots of really good non-relevant results though...

So basically there's a way to get emulsions off of a negative?

I am only familiar with transparancy lifts so cannot give you a firm answer on that.

So basically there's a way to get emulsions off of a negative?