Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jobo 4x5 Reels

Jobo 4x5 Reels

I appended this question to another thread but thought I would start a separate thread.

I have acquired some Jobo 4x5 reels and have 2 questions.

Do the reels work OK without the plastic inserts that prevent movement and aid agitation? I ask because I don't have them and have read differing views in old posts.

Also, has anyone tested development times using the reels in 2500 tanks vs. 3010 or 3006 Expert tanks to see if you can use the same development times?

Thanks.

Lachlan 717

Re: Jobo 4x5 Reels

I'd recommend the paddles. They are to "scoop" liquid up into the spool, rather than to prevent movement.

You can sometimes get them on eBay...
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

I've only got uneven developments with the Jobo either when I rotated the tank in only one direction, or when I didn't use the paddles.
    With them in place, I can develop six sheets at a time perfectly evenly.

The older 2509 reel was known to give uneven developments. Jobo solved this problem by introducing the 2509n, which was actually 2509 plus those paddles.

If you do not use a (rotary) processor, you do not want or need the paddles. They are only recommended for rotary processing. Personally I prefer no paddles and two sheets per reel. If I am in a rush and have to develop more E6 per run, the paddles do deliver more even results, but no client ever noticed when I forgot the paddles on non-studio shots - it is more of a thing that shows up on the densitometer. Things may be different if you have critical subjects like minimalistic shots with large areas of homogenic background, though.

Those paddles are hard to find. There were a couple on the auction site recently for $20, each! Anybody have 8 spares lying around? I do use rotary processing.

Anybody test development times of the reels vs. Expert tanks with rotary processing?

Jerold,
    I answered in For Sale. In a nutshell: In my limited experience, I didn't notice any problems with a 2509 reel in a 2551 tank on a Uniroller base. I used 700ml-800ml of D-76 1:1 or Xtol 1:3. The Uniroller stopped reversing and I still didn't notice any problems. I use the same time for the 2551 or the 3010. Because of the difference in diameters, the 2551 turns a few RPMs faster than the 3010. The person who sold me all of my JOBO hardware didn't mention any trouble either. He used it for B&W and E-6.
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the North Carolina rainforest.

Wayne's Blog

FlickrMyBookFaceTwitSpacei

The paddles are so much trouble I never use them and have never had development problems.

There you go. Ignorance is bliss!
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the North Carolina rainforest.

Wayne's Blog

FlickrMyBookFaceTwitSpacei

These paddles normally come with the reel. If your reel came without them, then it could be a 2509, in which case you won't be able to use them anyway.
    The difference consists of three little pins on each side of the reel, which hold the paddles in place. Check if your reel has them.

Hi Jamie, I've used mine for years and thousands of sheet with no paddles and never had uneven development..Cheers, Evan