Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Large & Medium Format

Large & Medium Format

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to figure out if I want to buy a large format, or a medium format camera. I've read some of the guides and posts here, but I have by no means a comprehensive overview yet.

I live in Switzerland, and I don't know how easily I can find supplies here (for either large or medium), like film, or get it developed (which might also be very expensive).

Looking through Steve Simmons' book, the photos are amazing. I love the flexibility, like adjusting the shape to take a photo of that building (see the attachment). Is there a big difference between view and monorail for this? A used Tachihara, or Sinar F1, or something along those lines ($400) would be within my budget, and then a lens, which I probably have to order from the US.

I'm interested in landscape and architecture, and possibly portraits.

For medium format, I have been looking at the Mamiya 6. I like the square photos. Film rolls certainly make things easier, though I really wouldn't mind the effort/load of a large format camera. The travel reports make it seem manageable, and, after all, you're going to take photos and not something else.

I'm also a sucker for Polaroid, and that would go well with a large format. But I am also slightly worried about bringing the large format camera into buildings, temples areas, since it's often forbidden to bring tripods, no problem with a medium format camera here.

I'm looking for some hints, things to consider and think about, or maybe if someone switched from medium to large, or the other way around, and why. I know there is no right or wrong, but it's hard to choose if you hadn't had experience with either. Of course I can always try both, but that's not within my possibilities at the moment.

Thanks!

Re: Large & Medium Format

Hello Cakemuffin,

Depending on what you want to photograph, I would go with both options.

The Mamiya 6 is a wonderful camera, but you will not be able to focus very near; so close ups of people is almost a no-no with this camera. You will still need a tripod if you want a lot of depth-of-field and stop down the camera to f/16 or so.

If you like to photograph landscapes, I would opt for the large format first, and when you can afford a medium format camera go for that later. If you travel frequently, I would look into a wooden or metal field camera that folds into a small package.

There should be no problem geting supplies in the larger cities in CH. Both Kodak and Fuji have Swiss distribution centers, and i am sure you can call them to find out more about film and developing capabilities in CH.

Check out some local fairs of photo equipment, there is always an opportunity to buy something at a decent price - if you have studied the going rates of equipment on e-bay and this forum.

Good luck.

Cordless Bungee Jumper Sirius Glass's Avatar

A Hasselblad 500 series, MF cameras, would allow you to have a camera you could walk around with, use for landscapes, portraits, ... Later if you wanted movements you could use the same lenses with a Hasselblad Flexbody. The movements of a Flexbody are more limited than a LF camera.

You have to look at what type of photography you are interested in. How much you will use the rise, shift, and tilt movements. Will you use it for sightseeing or traveling? What size prints will you make? Will you do your own processing or use commercial labs? Only you can answer these questions. Bring the answers back here and then we can provide better advise.

Steve
    Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Michael, thank you for your reply. I will try to find some more information about the situation here in Zurich. A wooden field camera (Tachihara?) was definitely something I would be aiming for. Would you still be able to do what is shown in the attachment in my first post with a field camera? Or is that too much movement?

Steve, let me answer the questions.
    It's hard to say how much I will rise, shift and tilt movements, since I never had to chance to do so. But seeing photos taken with those, I am more than excited. It must be fantastic for architecture, and I've grown fond of that.
    Sightseeing. I am planning to go back to Japan and China for an extended period, and stay with friends, so I'll have a home to keep everything, and take trips from there.
    Prints, I haven't thought about that much. Probably regular size to start with, but from what I've read, both medium and large should be more than "good enough" to produce even huge prints. I would definitely like to use a slide projector (if that's possible at all?).
    I'll be using a commercial lab I think, but I might have access to a lab where I can do my own processing, but that's not that important to me at the moment. I love Polaroid also.

Thank you guys, it's really appreciated.

Cordless Bungee Jumper Sirius Glass's Avatar

Slides:
    35mm => easy to get slide projectors, processed slides come mounted.
    120 => projectors are much harder to find and can be expensive for a good one. You will have to mount slides yourself, probably in glass
    LF => Others will more experience should jump in here.

Travel:
    35mm => easy
    120 => easy
    LF => depends on whether you are using a press camera [Graphic, Linhof] or a field camera. You may need a tripod with a press camera; you will need a tripod with a field camera. You will need a folding changing room http://www.freestylephoto.biz/25001-...-Changing-Room or a tent http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ison_1000.html for loading film into holders. Others will more experience should jump in here.

Steve
    Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

You don't mention a budget. Depending on your constraints with a budget, I suggest getting both. Medium format has never been cheaper. The Mamiya 6 and 7 are relatively pricey though. You could get a Bronica system for a very low amount (or Pentax 67 which I use).

For large format, get a simple field camera. You could buy a Shen Hao or Chamonix new for not very much, plus just one lens to start and a light meter.

You also did not mention a darkroom. Perhaps you are going to scan the negatives. You don't need much more than a closet to develop megatives.

The first cameras you get will not be your last. All of the recent vintages of the major brands are good enough to get started. Ideally, your largest budget item would be film!

Jerold, I think I want to spend something like $800-$1000 for gear. Tachihara, Shen Hao and Chamonix seem to be around $500-$800, and then hopefully I could buy a lens with what's left (is that possible?). Those three seem to start to look very nice, since they are also light. I know someone in Shanghai, maybe he can order a Shen Hao for me. Does Tachihara have a website? I also have friends in Japan (near Osaka). If anyone has information about buying used ones in Switzerland, that would be great.

For medium format I might be willing to spend a little more, considering the film and developing is going to be cheaper. Or I could buy a very cheap one, like you suggested, just to get started, and save for a Mamiya 6.

I have a bathroom with no windows, might be enough at night.

I would look at the British dealers first if you are in Switzerland. The prices in the US are better but the postage and import duty can wipe out the advantage. You can get British dealers to send you things via surface mail. Ffordes
    www.ffordes.co.uk has a great choice of medium format and large format gear and is very reputable.

Bear in mind that with large format, the cost of the accessories to make a camera usable are a significant extra cost. So budget for some film holders, a cable release, a loupe, a focussing cloth and some kind of film changing bag. Remeber if you buy a lens you'll have to add the price of a lens board. My monorail cost £350 but the accessories added another £200 (10 film holders, a focussing cloth, a calumet changing room and a hard case to carry it all in). Luckily I already had a cable release and and a loupe but still, to give myself a usable camera I had to spend over half of the price I paid initially.

You may be asking for things which are mutually incompatible. I am an architect and have tried almost every camera to capture builidngs and have come to some (often disapointing) conclusions. To start with, a way to shifit the image is important if you don't want to live with a lot of foreground distractons and don't want to correct distortion digitally. The only practical way to do this off tripod - and it's not great - is training yourself to hand hold a 35mm class (film or digital) and use a perspective control lens.

If you can use a tripod, roll film in a 6x7 or 6x9 format will yield very high quality, indistinguishable from 4x5 (9x12) in a print up to about 16x20 inches. However roll film cameras capable of shifting are expensive and heavy so it probalbly makes more sense to use a 4x5 (9x12) camera with a roll film back. The problem is that your will need at least a 65mm lens and preferably a 58 (to get the equivelent of 90mm on a 4x5). With such a short lens you need a bag bellows - often not available on foldig wood cameras.

Given your situaton I think I woudl try to pick up a Fuji GSW 6x9 which has a 65mm lens and old view camera (maybe sinar or linhof) with a bag bellows (or buy a shen-hao which has a bag baellows option) and a good 65mm 5.6 lens. Use both cameras for a while and see which one yields the results you want for the effort wyoiu wantto invest. The roll film is much easier to use than sheet film, shoudl be available and is easily scanned to do digital printing. At the end of a year I think you'll know if either (or both) cameras are meeting your needs.

Thanks Tobias. You're right, it's probably going to be more costly than I thought, especially if I want to buy a new camera.

Wwiliams, thank you for your post. I didn't know know there was an option to put a film roll back onto a large format camera. A Shen-Hao with a Roll Film Back might be a great solution, because it would also allow me to use 120 film (which is a lot cheaper, easier to get and develop), while still having the option to use 4x5. You mean this one? With a bag? It says 50mm-190mm. Do you often use shifting when taking photos of buildings?