Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rodenstock calculator

Rodenstock calculator

The HP Marketing website says that the Rodenstock calculator computes Schleimpfl ug angles and depth-of-field. How does it work? Is it a useful accessory? Tha nks.

Rodenstock calculator

works great and is very useful. I mainly use it for calculating the hyperfocal point however.

Rodenstock calculator

Bob Wheeler has a very useful series of reviews of LF tools. The Rodenstock calculator is one of them. I use his (Freeware!) Palm program VadeMecum, and find it very useful.

http://www.bobwheeler.com/photo/index.html

Rodenstock calculator

Practically, is this accessory more for the studio, the field, or both? I'm using a Wisner for landscape, etc. and have no easy way to calculate angles, etc. with any degree of precision. Do I have a need for this accessory? Thanks.

Rodenstock calculator

Josh, the Rodenstock calculator is worth having - its not expensive. I sometimes use it to double check when in the field but its probably more at home in the studio.

Rodenstock calculator

Why not just ask us to mail you the literature on it. We can mail you some.

Rodenstock calculator

I use it for field work.

Rodenstock calculator

How does it work? Part I, The Depth of Field calculator:

To start with, point the camera at your subject and if you have tilted the base of the camera, re-erect your front and rear standards to vertical. 1.) roughly determine the angle between the bed or monorail and the lens axis (with front & rear standards upright).

2.) Set the film format you'll be working in. The calculator has scale settings for 35mm through all of the most popular medium formats, to 4x5, 5x7 & 8x10, in both English and Metric measurements.

3.) determine the scale of reproduction. I assume this means the scale at which the object being photographed will be reproduced on film.

4.) determine the extension difference between the near point you are focusing on and the far point you are focusing on. The calculator has an 8cm ruled scale that you use for this,Now refocus the camera to the ideal hyperfocal setting for that f-stop by moving the standard half way between the two points. In other words if the difference was 5cm between your near and far points, then move the standard 2.5 cm towards your starting point.

5.) Opposite this number will be the f-stop needed to achieve this depth of field. Set this f-stop on the lens. .

Now lookat the number 6 calculaton. the Belichtungszugabe. this will tell you if there is any added expsre necessary for for bellows extension.

All of this takes about a minute or less to do.

I haven't used the Scheimpflug calculator so I cannot comment on how easy it is to use but it looks equally straightforward.

Rodenstock calculator

Ellis, thanks very much.

Rodenstock calculator

The rodenstock calculater is a usefull tool, the scheimpflug rule is not so easy to understand. The dof-calculator is great. not heavy - not expensive. Marcus Schwier