Thread: Lightning Source Print on Demand Submissions :: Comments

Camera Antipodea Richard Mahoney's Avatar

Lightning Source Print on Demand Submissions :: Comments

I've recently looked into the services provided by various Print on Demand printers/distributors and opted to have my colour print catalogues produced and distributed by Lightning Source:

Lightning Source (LSI)
    http://www.lightningsource.com/

I've read good things about the quality of LSI output and customer service. Their distribution networks are especially attractive. The LSI submission process though is rigorous. While they provide a great deal of documentation to help one get things right, a great deal has also been written on how to move through the submission process without issue, and particularly on how to avoid common pitfalls resulting in rejected submissions and costly reproofing. Here is just one of many examples:

Self-Publishing Review | Blog | Publish With Lightning Source
    http://www.selfpublishingreview.com/...htning-source/

I'd be interested if any of you have dealt with Lightning Source and have any pointers on the submission of books containing *colour* plates, especially on getting your CMYK images just right.

Kind regards,

Richard
    Richard Mahoney
    M: +64-21-064-0216 T: +64-3-312-1699 E: contact@indica-et-buddhica.com

Re: Lightning Source Print on Demand Submissions :: Comments

Bumpity, bumpity bump. Is no one using LSI directly? Is it preferable to deal with the second tier such as Blurb and so on?

Best, Richard
    Richard Mahoney

Re: Lightning Source Print on Demand Submissions :: Comments

I've recently approved the second and final proof of the following for publication so I'm going to jot down a few thoughts in case anyone else decides to have Lightning Source (Ingram) print and distribute their work:

Camera Antipodea - Catalogue No. 1 / Photographs by Richard MAHONEY
    (Oxford: Indica et Buddhica, 2010). ISBN 978-0-473-17791-1 (hbk).
    http://camera-antipodea.indica-et-bu.../catalogue-one

Some of the image related features:

• Book type: Color 8 x 10 in or 254 x 203 mm Case Laminate on White w/Gloss Lam
    • Page Count: 40
    • Markets: United States, United Kingdom, European Union, Australia
    • Publication Date: 10/21/2010. Street Date: 6/14/2011.
    • Scanning: Mock up scans -- RBM with Epson V700 flatbed scanner. Production scans (RGB 98, 300ppi) from transparencies (Astia) -- Andrew Budd with Fuji Celsis 6250 (Crosfield) drum scanner.
    • File prep: Andrew Budd -- sharpening (paying special attention to shadow detail) and slight saturation increase. RBM -- cropping (removal of sheet film borders) and conversion from RGB 98 to CMYK with 240% maximum ink limit.

When I was initially considering having Lightning Source (Ingram) print and distribute this title I'd been uncertain of the level of quality of their colour laser printing, especially given the low maximum ink limit compared to offset. After going over the second proof I'm pleased to report that, given suitable file preparation, the quality is, in my opinion, more than adequate.

That said, I've found that special attention had to be given to securing suitable CMYK files. Each drum scan was targeted at the publication dimensions. Each scan then had to be selectively sharpened to bring out the shadow detail, with the addition of a slight increase in saturation to account for the paper type. The files then had to be converted from RGB 98 to CMYK with a 240% maximum ink limit using the profile available here:

Living Within Limits
    How to Deal with Lightning Source’s 240% Total Ink Limit on Book Covers
    http://www.newselfpublishing.com/TotalInkLimit.html

Overall, the workflow went smoothly enough, athough I'm anticipating that the next title will be smoother still. It was invaluable, though, to receive well informed pre-press advice and assistance -- Andrew Budd -- and also constant support at every stage from Ingram's client reps.

Kind regards,

Richard
    Richard Mahoney