Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Pyocat-HD/-MC 2 Bath Developing...

Re: Pyocat-HD/-MC 2 Bath Developing...

Quote Originally Posted by William Barnett-Lewis View Post
    I've been using Diafine for all of my 4x5 development but have been considering giving a pyrocat version a try. I develop in a HP Combi-Plan daylight tank.

Is it possible to use that tank or do I need to go with something else? How much agitation would be needed?

Thanks!

William

I think you should be able to use the Combi-Plan with two-bath Pyrocat. If it works with Diafine I think you should be ok with Pyrocat.

When I develop in tanks I agitate for a full minute at first in Solution A, and then for 15 seconds every minute thereafter. Be sure to add a few drops of Photoflo to Solution A. After finishing the time in Solution A drain for about 15 seconds.

I am not sure how you pour in the developer with a Combi-Plan, but if possible you need to remove the lid and pour in all of Solution B as quickly as possible. Then agitate continuously in Solution B for a minute, and for about 15 seconds every minute thereafter.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

StayAtHome Dad & Photog

Ok, thanks for the information. I may have to experiment a bit, especially with the part b as it's a slow filling funnel job on this tank. Diafine doesn't care much about that. I'm working on convincing my wife that turning the walk in closet into a dark room is a good thing
    4x5 and a Tessar is heaven
    "I beg to dream and differ from the hollow lies..." Green Day

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lee View Post

Sandy's suggestion of adding a few grams of Photo Flo to Solution A, has worked wonders: I now get perfectly even development.
    Ken, how much Photo Flo are you really adding? I recommended a few drops, not a few grams!!

In any event, great results in your image of the barn.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io

Seriously, I actually added a few grams of PhotoFlo. It ended up being quite a few drops. See your post below:

"a. Use a 1:15 or 1:20 dilution of Pyrocat Stock A and Stock B for most films. Add a few grams of PhotoFlo to the solution."

Next time I'll try less.

Seriously, I actually added a few grams of PhotoFlo. It ended up being quite a few drops. See your post below:

"a. Use a 1:15 or 1:20 dilution of Pyrocat Stock A and Stock B for most films. Add a few grams of PhotoFlo to the solution."

Next time I'll try less.
    Ken,

Thanks for the clarification. It was a mistake in my writing to say a few grams but if you added a few grams and it worked I will need to think about this again. But with Photo Flo a small amount goes a long way. I am just glad that a solution has been found to the problem.

Sandy

Cool Re: Pyocat-HD/-MC 2 Bath Developing...

Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    Ken, how much Photo Flo are you really adding? I recommended a few drops, not a few grams!!

In any event, great results in your image of the barn.

Sandy

Next time I'll try less.
    Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    Ken,

Thanks for the clarification. It was a mistake in my writing to say a few grams but if you added a few grams and it worked I will need to think about this again. But with Photo Flo a small amount goes a long way. I am just glad that a solution has been found to the problem.

Sandy
    For the photograpically challenged.........

I own a very nice 10ml graduate that I use for measuring Rodinal at 1:100. Would 1ml per 500ml of Solution A be considered "a few drops"? Or should I actually use an eyedropper to measure 5-10 drops? I totally agree that a little Photo-Flo goes a long way. I only use about 3ml per 2 liters of water for a final rinse. I think I may have answered my own question. 1/2ml per 500ml seems about right. Eyedropper it is. Or a straw.
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the North Carolina rainforest.

Wayne's Blog

FlickrMyBookFaceTwitSpacei

Quote Originally Posted by venchka View Post
    For the photograpically challenged.........

I own a very nice 10ml graduate that I use for measuring Rodinal at 1:100. Would 1ml per 500ml of Solution A be considered "a few drops"? Or should I actually use an eyedropper to measure 5-10 drops? I totally agree that a little Photo-Flo goes a long way. I only use about 3ml per 2 liters of water for a final rinse. I think I may have answered my own question. 1/2ml per 500ml seems about right. Eyedropper it is. Or a straw.
    I personally don't bother to measure it. I just take the bottle of Photo Flo and pour a small amount into the cap, then add this to Solution A. I just did that to see how much it amounted to and I had a bit less than 1ml, which seems about right for a liter of Solution A.

Sandy

Thanks Sandy! Eyeball it is!
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the North Carolina rainforest.

Wayne's Blog

FlickrMyBookFaceTwitSpacei

StayAtHome Dad & Photog

(add photo flo to shopping list)

Continuing my own questions from last night, is there any one of the versions of pyrocat that is better suited to use as divided developer? Original HD or the newer MC with metol? Or another I've missed?

I hope to acquire an Omega 4x5 enlarger soon but in the mean time will still need to scan my negs as well as contact printing them, so my goal is a process that will work at least reasonably well with all three processes. From my reading of your work, I think this could make a really good starting point. Thank you for the help!

William
    4x5 and a Tessar is heaven
    "I beg to dream and differ from the hollow lies..." Green Day

Quote Originally Posted by William Barnett-Lewis View Post
    (add photo flo to shopping list)

Continuing my own questions from last night, is there any one of the versions of pyrocat that is better suited to use as divided developer? Original HD or the newer MC with metol? Or another I've missed?

William
    As far as I can tell there is no difference in result between any of the Pyrocat versions in two-bath development. -HD seems to work the same as -MC, and although I have not tried the -P version I am highly confident that it would give similar results.

Sandy