Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scitex 340 scanner

Scitex 340 scanner

Hello Everyone,

I have been offered for purchase a Scitex 340 for about $350. I've been able to find little information about this scanner online. I know that it has long been out of production and that parts and bulbs maybe difficult or impossible to source.

Software is included, however the Scitex scanning app only runs on OS9 which probably means purchasing a G4. Would that be an issue locating a G4 in good working order?

Can anyone tell me what the native scan resolution is? How large a piece of film it can scan? Currently 8x10 B&W is my largest size.

Any help or information will be appreciated,

Don Bryant

Re: Scitex 340 scanner

Quote Originally Posted by D. Bryant View Post
    Hello Everyone,

I have been offered for purchase a Scitex 340 for about $350. I've been able to find little information about this scanner online. I know that it has long been out of production and that parts and bulbs maybe difficult or impossible to source.

Software is included, however the Scitex scanning app only runs on OS9 which probably means purchasing a G4. Would that be an issue locating a G4 in good working order?

Can anyone tell me what the native scan resolution is? How large a piece of film it can scan? Currently 8x10 B&W is my largest size.

Any help or information will be appreciated,

Don Bryant
    Don,

Getting a G4 in good condition will not be a problem as there are lots of them around.

Regarding the 340, I have never used it but am familiar with some of its features. Optical resolution is 5000 spi but like the Cezanne you only get that with small film. The CCD moves away from the platen to cover larger film and this reduces resolution. As I recall you can scan 4X5 film at about 2000-2400 dpi. The platen size is 12X17. The 340 is not as desirable as an Eversmart but is still a very good scanner. But just make sure it is in good working condition, with software and spare bulbs if possible.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    Don,

Getting a G4 in good condition will not be a problem as there are lots of them around.

Regarding the 340, I have never used it but am familiar with some of its features. Optical resolution is 5000 spi but like the Cezanne you only get that with small film. The CCD moves away from the platen to cover larger film and this reduces resolution. As I recall you can scan 4X5 film at about 2000-2400 dpi. The platen size is 12X17. The 340 is not as desirable as an Eversmart but is still a very good scanner. But just make sure it is in good working condition, with software and spare bulbs if possible.

Sandy
    Thanks for the info Sandy. Searching the Yahoo Hi-End scanning group turned up little information so your info is invaluable. This is being sold by a mutual friend of ours BTW, Russ from the Osabaw group.

Don

Hi Don
    i have never succed to run my scitex 340 with a G4 (a lot of crash down of the software) only with a G3
    good luck
    regards
    francois

Quote Originally Posted by francois.jonquet View Post
    Hi Don
    i have never succed to run my scitex 340 with a G4 (a lot of crash down of the software) only with a G3
    good luck
    regards
    francois
    Ahh, okay thanks for the tip!

Don

Francois,

What version of OS were you using on that G4?

I ran several 340, 342, and 342L and they were nice and the color was Scitex quality. I scanned many covers using those scanners. Don, you would need the assigned scanning masks for the transparencies you will be scanning.

Quote Originally Posted by Evanjoe610 View Post
    Don, you would need the assigned scanning masks for the transparencies you will be scanning.
    What does that mean? I have zero information about the maintenance and operation of the scanner.

Thanks,

Don

The 340 series scanner was a desktop scanner ( well sort of like, It was a size of a portable copying machine) that required circular scanning mask that had cutouts for chromes by their respective size (6X6, 6X7, 6X9, 6.45, 35mm). IN addition, they also had a reflective mask ( Mylar sheet that you taped the print to) that covered the entire glass. Now you do not have to use these scanning masks, you could mount the prints/chromes directly onto the glass. It was suggested for scanning operators to use the mask to get the maximum color D-Max range out of the item being scanned.

Manuals are a bit harder to come by nowadays. The scanner was pretty much straight and forward in the logic of how to use it. Most publication houses during the 1990's used this scanner as a portable scanner when they travel to the Olympics. This was of course prior to the high quality digital cameras of today. I recently threw out my Scitex manuals. Hope that this explain what the 340 series scanner were.

Quote Originally Posted by Evanjoe610 View Post
    The 340 series scanner was a desktop scanner ( well sort of like, It was a size of a portable copying machine) that required circular scanning mask that had cutouts for chromes by their respective size (6X6, 6X7, 6X9, 6.45, 35mm).
    You've mentioned chromes, I don't shoot transparency film, color negative and B&W. I assume the Scitex 340 will handle those film types. Also my interest is for large format. Your post implies that LF isn't supported. Is that corrected?

Don Bryant

Hi evan
    i do not remenber very well (i have upgraded to an eversmart pro) but i am pretty sure it was os9
    the 340 runvery well with a G3
    did you success to run it with a G4?
    regards
    francois