Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ries Tripod advice

Re: Ries Tripod advice

John, again, thanks for giving some thought to this. I too try to use the most appropriate equipment for the job. The Sinar and Wista both have their place. I wouldn't dream of using the Wista for architecture or interior photography, and the Sinar would soon become a burden on a hike.

Drew, the Betterlight only requires the shutter to be open. It doesn't have to be tripped, so shutter vibration is not a factor. The scanning motor causes vibration while the scan is taking place.

Kumar

Hi BS Kumar - If you are looking at Ries Tripods you want a tripod with the Tri-Lock feature and the H100 is what I recommend. If you want maximum stability the H100-2 is even more solid and stable and will support just about anything. I never like the tripods with out the Tri-Lock feature - just not as solid. Using a Betterlight back with minimum exposures of 30 seconds you want your tripod as steady as possible. The legs that screw together a good but the one piece are better.

Fred Newman

Fred,yes, of course I want stability. But I also want compact, so that leaves out the J100 or the H100-2. My Slik and Gitzo are in that weight/folded length range, and are very stable, so I don't want to duplicate them.

Kumar