Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Travelling for a year; so which LF camera?

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Re: Travelling for a year; so which LF camera?

If I were doing that, I would go with a Toyo 45AX, or Toyo 45CF, or Graflex Super Graphic, or other good press camera. (I have a 45AX and Super Graphic.) Both the 45CF and Super Graphic will fold with a lens mounted. The 135mm Graflex Wollensack lens is a really good lens. You can photograph with a press camera quite easily.

The real thing to watch is film. Since Fuji color Quickloads are still in stock, I would buy a Quickload holder and plenty of boxes of Quickloads. Otherwise, buy a Harrison changing tent, an antistatic brush, and be very patient loading the holders.

Unless you're going to periodically be in areas where you can restock film and have exposed film processed, I don't think a LF system is suitable for a "backpacking" trip of that length (at least not what I think of as "backpacking"). It could be done but the advantages of a good digital camera and a system to download and save your photographs and/or lots of flash cards, are pretty overwhelming compared to any film system under those circumstances. I also wouldn't make a trip of that length my first foray into LF photography.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Welcome to group therepy, Tim. As you can see, there are many opinions represented on this site and we aren't afraid to express them! If I were making your journey, I would tend to go with something smaller and more portable than 4x5, such as my Minolta 35mm outfit, or my Hasselblad outfit (most likely), though if you go with digital, you can store one heck of a lot of photos on a tiny little memory card, which is a BIG advantage when on an extended trip!

While I have done similar things with a 4x5 camera -- none have been extensive as your plans. Three months living out of a backpack while hitch-hiking around New Zealand, then again several years later for 6 months, but this time on a bicycle (but with a backpack for hikes into the bush for several nights.) The bike was a much easier way to move the equipment around!

How big and fit are you? At the time I was 6"4, 220 pounds and spent all summer (5 or 6 months) hiking in the wilderness building and maintaining trails with hand tools. I could carry 85 pound packs -- your size determines how much you are willing to carry all day. Even now, some 23 yrs later, I can carry my 60 pounds of 8x10 around all day...not that I am not bone tired at the end of the day!

The type of photographs you want to make helps determine the camera. I do primarily landscapes, so a Speed/Crown Graphic would not do (otherwise a nice choice of travel 4x5). I wanted more movements. I used a Gowland PocketView -- 2.5 pounds with the 150mm/5.6 lens on it. No back shift or back rise/fall, but I never missed them. A very light wood camera such as the Horseman Woodman would also be good.

A possibility -- take just one lens -- and get a very a high quality pinhole set-up on a board as an emergency spare lens.

Taking public busses around Costa Rica for a month with my 4x5, my camera pack and tripod all fit inside my backpack -- no camera gear showing.

Vaughn

Even with an ultra-light kit, such as a Toho, once you add in tripod, film, holders, etc., it will be at least 20lbs. If that is feasable, then I would go for it.

I enjoy travelling with my Mamiya 7, but I often miss having movements.

Have a look at the Toho, only 3 lbs, and it packs very small.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    ..... I could carry 85 pound packs -- your size determines how much you are willing to carry all day. Even now, some 23 yrs later, I can carry my 60 pounds of 8x10 around all day...

Vaughn
    Perhaps you should consider an 8x10 and take Vaughn along

You could encounter extreme humidity/rain situations, don't buy anything with wooden frames or leather bellows..it'll rot, swell up, stick and mold...Evan Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Marshall View Post
    Even with an ultra-light kit, such as a Toho, once you add in tripod, film, holders, etc., it will be at least 20lbs...
    Yes, 20 lbs would be the minimum -- when I use to solo backpack for 7 to 11 days, my 4x5 set up was 20 - 25 pounds (carried 5 film holders, but just one lens). But I was a little tripod-heavy...seven to 7.5 pounds with the ball head. Way before carbon fiber.

John B. -- nope, I'd have to carry two 8x10's (his and mine) -- and my body can't take that no more! Funny how my major project this Fall/Winter/Spring involves a 4x5 (the Gowland) and a 5x7. I'll just carry these tiny cameras over my shoulder on the pod (one at a time!) and work out of a shoulder bag. Perhaps a daypack for longer hikes.

But I have loan of a 7"x17" for a couple months, so I'll have to still stay in shape!

Andi Heuser

Tim,

is it really necessary to backpack? If the main reason for the journey
    is to make photos than take a car,
    a station wagon or something where you have enough space for the equipment
    (incl. a small fridge for the film) and could sleep in for some nights.

If the main reason is the travelling and meeting other people,
    than take a compact digital.

sanchi

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    But I have loan of a 7"x17" for a couple months, so I'll have to still stay in shape!
    Have FUN with the 7x17. I've had my Ritter 7x17 for about 4 years now and just love it. The camera is light weight, but the film holders are a killer!!!

I also have a Ritter 8x10. The camera weighs less than my Zone VI 4x5, but once again the film holders....ouch!