Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do you use a pseudonym?

Why do you use a pseudonym?

I'm curious...if you are one who uses a pseudonym (or initials or 1st name only) on this forum, why don't you use your real full name? To me you lose cred --as if you have something to hide, IMHO.

Wink Re: Why do you use a pseudonym?

On another site I use a psyeudonym just because I thought it was fun.

But why should anyone care?

And why should you judge?

Everyone is free to make choices, not rules to live by.

Re: Why do you use a pseudonym?

My legal name is Darlene. My mother said I was suppose to be named Dawn. The lady in the labor and delivery-room next to my mom named her daughter Arlene, so my mom said she messed up under the drugs and told the nurse to write down Darlene on the birth certificate. (My folks were into "D's". I have three sisters named: Debbie, Dale and Donna. Go figure.) Anyhow, as a child my family always called me "Darr", my husband of 20+ years calls me "Darr", my nieces and nephews call me "Aunt Darr", my clients call me "Darr" and solicitors call me "Darlene". When someone calls and asks for "Darlene" I usually know they are not a friend. So please, just call me "Darr."
    Last edited by darr; 9-Aug-2006 at 10:47.

I don't but it's easy to understand. It has little to do with this forum, but hackers and/or data miners search everywhere, and it's likely they've already mined this place. The forum software packages, although having some good measure of security, aren't always safe from those who know how and either want the information to use or sell or like to create damage or havoc. I'll admit this is one obsecure forum, but none are immune anymore. After all what can you do with the list of large format cameras users these days? Ok, I won't answer that, but it doesn't take much imagination.
    --Scott--

Scott M. Knowles, MS-Geography
    scott@wsrphoto.com

"All things merge into one, and a river flows through it."
    - Norman MacLean

Abuser of God's Sunlight

because i don't want the stupid things i say to be searchable 10 years from now!

I don't but it's easy to understand. There are a lot of people out there with outstanding arrest warrants, back taxes, overdue alimony and child support, not to mention known sex offenders, inside stock traders, card sharps, etc. I just assume anyone using a "handle" falls into one of these groups and feel we should respect their privacy.

Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb
    I don't but it's easy to understand. There are a lot of people out there with outstanding arrest warrants, back taxes, overdue alimony and child support, not to mention known sex offenders, inside stock traders, card sharps, etc. I just assume anyone using a "handle" falls into one of these groups and feel we should respect their privacy.
    or those who don't want terrorists or others miscriants they put away (or revenge for putting under) finding out where they are now....
    Last edited by tim atherton; 9-Aug-2006 at 10:58.
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

So, David, if you see me on another forum under my pseudonym, "ImageMaker", you'll assume I'm in one of those low-life classes, but I'm perfectly okay if I'm using something that looks like a real name? Seems to me there are a lot of folks like those you describe who a) use their own names, and b) are just trying to get from Tuesday to Wednesday with body and soul still together. The fact they've done something they shouldn't have doesn't always imply they'll do it again (though there's pretty strong evidence that sex offenders will). And for those caught with alimony, child support, or back taxes, their only mistake may have been to trust the wrong folks (like a lawyer, for instance).
    If a contact print at arm's length is too small to see, you need a bigger camera. :D

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

I didn't realize until recently that there were so many people offended by the use of psuedonyms... but htis topic seems to come up on almost every forum I read. I'll have to change mine to my real name some day!
    Last edited by BrianShaw; 9-Aug-2006 at 11:50.

It's easy, if a person makes a statement or comment on more than one site then he/she is said to be trolling. The net has it's rules and you learn or burn. The assumptions about criminal activity show the distrust people have in the sites. I wonder why anyone gives there name and person information with all those criminals out there.

The one I like is when someone makes a comment about a photographer and out of nowhere that photographer come on almost immediately and demands an appology. It's like they have software they run with their name to catch anyone making a negative comment about them. That's real trolling.

Pardon me now I have to check and see if someone is saying something about me on all of the internet sites.

Turner Reich

OK it's tr