Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BW filters for the cokin P system? Cokin filters ok? Alterantives available?

BW filters for the cokin P system? Cokin filters ok? Alterantives available?

I am looking into purchasing some BW filters for the cokin P system. I was thinking of these

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...and_White.html

Can anyone confirm if they are good? Should I be looking for alternatives? Are there alternatives? If so which should I be looking into?

Re: BW filters for the cokin P system? Cokin filters ok? Alterantives available?

Those should be fine. They are plastic though, not glass, so they scratch easier.

Also, make sure you verify the largest diameter adapter ring available for that system. The largest I saw on the web page was 58mm which is too small for large format. Cokin has different sized systems. I would get whatever the largest is. I prefer regular filters to the Lee (expensive) or Cokin (inexpensive) rectangular filters. However, it is a nuisance when I get a lens that is larger than my filters because I don't want to buy expensive, duplicate filters for individual lenses.

Re: BW filters for the cokin P system? Cokin filters ok? Alterantives available?

Cokin P adapters are available up to at least 82mm.

I also looked up the "Z" series but the information relative to the P series is not so good. They cost quite a bit more than the P series. Anybody use the Cokin Z system? Anybody recommend the Z series over the P series?

Lachlan 717

X-Pro for me as I use Schneider's (massive) centre filters on my wide angles.

With hindsight, the original P-Series filters I bought were the wrong size. Too small.

Keep in mind that your future lens purchases may require bigger filters. Maybe not the X-Pro series, but definitely consider the Z-series (or Lee system).
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

I use the Cokin P series filters as well as some Hitech 85mm filters. Hitech are a good alternative to Cokin comparably priced. Lee and Singh-Ray are more expensive options and all are resin filters. Cokin P series supports up to an 82mm diameter lens. If you need to go larger, the 100mm Cokin Z-Pro and Lee systems are the next step followed by the enormous 135 width Cokin X-Pro.

Just a heads up: while the p series works up to 82mm, it will vignette with certain lenses. Even my 24mm Nikkor vignettes with it and it has 52mm threads. Just be careful with your wide angle lenses.

Also: the hi-tech filters are not infrared neutral, the lee ones may be, and the singh-ray ones are for 3-stop and higher densities only or by special order. Usually not an issue but with some films it might be.

Virtually all these filters are uncoated plastic. So long as you keep them clean and relatively scratch free, the worst they'll likely do is reduce your contrast just a tiny bit.

Lachlan 717

You also need to watch using grads in the P Series. They offer very slight rise/fall placement with WA lenses…

The Lee system (and several others) overcomes this by offering 4"x6" grads, giving much greater rise/fall placement.
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

Good advice. Thanks.

There are two wide angle options for the P series on wide angle lenses. One is to buy the single slot wide holder, but the better option is to buy an extra P series holder and trim it down to one or two slots. I've been able to shoot with the Canon 17-40L on 35mm and the 10-22 on APS-C without vignetting using the single slot wide holders. Both lenses have 77mm thread diameters.