Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shooting on Indian reservations

Shooting on Indian reservations

Okay, No info in searching this site and a multi topic Google search just leads me in circles, so I'm throwing this out for a plea for help from informed members.

I have an assignment to photograph a client's apartment community in Redbud, SD. That is in the middle of the Redbud Indian Reservation, so I'll be following that up with exploring the reservation photographically as well as the National Parks outside of the reservation.

My concern is tribal rules and regulations for photographing commercially on their lands. The assigned shoot will be in the town and the rest will be for fun and possible sales, but not direct commercial shooting.

Having read that at least some reservations require permits, I'm trying to find info on this specific situation.

Anyone out there who might know or have suggestions on who to contact for absolute valid permit information.

Thanks, folks.

Tim
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

Has Been LF Photographer

Re: Shooting on Indian reservations

There are a lot of numbers and email addresses available on the Redbud web site. It might be challenging as to which to contact. Perhaps tourism.

http://www.rosebudsiouxtribe-nsn.gov/

Talk to the tribal office, there will be one somewhere on the reservation. Native Americans are concerned about privacy and exploitation that has occured in the past. A simple rule is show courtesy and ask first.

Photograsaurus Rex

Sidmac has the right idea. Contact them directly and they'll be far more likely to help you than if you just show up ready to shoot. Give them a copy of the work-order or assignment schedule to show that you're legit as well.

Is "Reservation" still a politically/socially OK term? It brings a lot of nasty images to mind.

Thanks everyone. I'm calling them later today. Steven, all the Federal and state maps I've seen on line and in hand (AAA) still call them "reservations".
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Tribe View Post
    Is "Reservation" still a politically/socially OK term? It brings a lot of nasty images to mind.
    Is "Indian" still a politically/socially OK term? It brings a completely different continent and peoples to mind. ;

The media has been using the term "Native American" for quite some time.

As a "European (once upon a time) American of mixed heritage" I don't really think it matters if not said with an offensive intent.

I often wonder just how much time is wasted on worrying about all this politically correct nonsense. I try to be damned sure that I am totally polite to people and respect their wishes regarding wording, heritage, etc. That's the way I was raised and I enjoy offering and receiving respect in return. But, I honestly think that political correctness often creates vastly more divisiveness than it solves.

In calling the reservation offices, I have gotten far enough to find out that a permit will be required, but I have yet to reach the person who can give me the details.

I'll post that info once I get the specific data.

Brian, I join you as a European heritage "mutt". I have a mostly German heritage (several generations removed) and if somebody wants to call me a Kraut, so long as they do it with a smile on their face, especially over a good German beer, who cares.

Tim LUDWIG

Okay. I just got what seems to be the definitive word from a very nice gentleman in the revenue department at the Rosebud Reservation.

For recreational photography, no fees are required.

For any business related photography, the situation is treated as being a business and doing business on their land and there are three tiers of fees for that license.

Four days costs $10.00

Up to, but not over Three Months costs $25.00

A Permanent license is $50.00 yearly.

I was told that this can either be done in advance or when one arrives on the reservation. It happens that my assignment is at a town where an office exists so I can purchase the four day license when I arrive on site.

Whether this applies to other reservations, I can't say, so clearly calling ahead to those would be in order.

Thanks for the help to all who responded.

I just call my Navajo friend Sally. That's her name.