Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Removing an old kirk plate from an old Arca ball

Removing an old kirk plate from an old Arca ball

For my sins, I purchased an old Arca ballhead from the evil place. It was advertised as coming with a Kirk QR clamp, and certainly it comes with some kind of clamp. There's no marking on it so I can't tell if it is Kirk. The problem is in my ignorance, I didn't check that the width was right for my monorail, and it isn't - it is too wide. So... how do I get the QR plate off the head? I've tried putting the base in a vice, locking the ball, and twisting it off - I didn't try very hard for fear of breaking something, but it certainly didn't come off easily despite spray lube. There are no obvious screws to undo or other adjustment. It's probably been in place for 20+ years, so it won't be easy in any event. But any clues would be appreciated. Should I for instance be hitting it with a rubber hammer?

Many thanks

David.

Re: Removing an old kirk plate from an old Arca ball

Sorry I don't know how to get it off. You could always send an email message to Kirk Enterprises and ask if you don't get an answer here.

As an aside, I'm not sure this actually is a Kirk plate. I've ordered a lot of plates and clamps from Kirk over the years and IIRC they've always said "Kirk Enterprises" somewhere on them. Maybe they didn't do that back when they first started in business, who knows. But it shouldn't matter, they probably can tell you how to get it off whether they made it or not.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

That is not a QR clamp. and in any case all the clamps that are Arca swiss style fit the same size clamp; In fact I wonder if the is actually an Arca-swiss at all.
    Regards
    Bill

I looked further and I may be wrong
    see this web site
    http://www.precisioncameraworks.com/...ball_core.html
    “Old Style” – Large, single-function lock knob, separate tension screw with spring, 3 1/2" (8.8cm) diameter panning base plate. Was available with 1/4", 3/8", or Quick Set Camera Platform. Most had a black anodized finish. The earliest ones had a polished aluminum finish.
    Regards
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by cowanw View Post
    I looked further and I may be wrong
    see this web site
    http://www.precisioncameraworks.com/...ball_core.html
    “Old Style” – Large, single-function lock knob, separate tension screw with spring, 3 1/2" (8.8cm) diameter panning base plate. Was available with 1/4", 3/8", or Quick Set Camera Platform. Most had a black anodized finish. The earliest ones had a polished aluminum finish.
    Regards
    Bill
    Thanks Bill. The ball is indeed Arca Swiss - or at least, it is marked as such, and I doubt anyone would bother to fake that. The precision camera site seems to suggest that the clamp is integral rather than separate, which might explain why I can't remove it...

David.

The photo depicts the clamp portion of the quick release system. What is missing is the "plate" that fits that clamp.

So, you only have half the equation at this point. You need a plate that fits that clamp.

I have numerous plates to fit my various cameras, all which fit the Kirk quick release clamps on my ball heads.

Without researching the Kirk site, I don't know what plate would be required for your camera.

A kind person emailed me this link

http://www.earthboundlight.com/photo...ase-part1.html

It suggests that the clamp is glued onto the screw, and that you can melt the glue with a propane torch...

What I meant to say about the QR is that they are usually referring to the lever action styles. Knob and screw styles are usually not referred to as lever action.
    Regards
    Bill

Also I worry that you are going to take the top off only to discover that what you really need is the plate that Keith refers to. It is the plate that is suppose to fit your monorail.
    Regards
    Bill

Thanks Bill and Keith - that is very useful information. I will go on a plate hunt.

David.