Thread: Scanning 617 with Imacon 617

Scanning 617 with Imacon 617

Hi everybody

I've made some 617 Provia pictures
    But I won't scan them before a few months and then I'll do it with a Imacon 617 which I've never used
    How keep my transparencies ?
    Can I cut each picture or do I have to let them in strip ?

(i'm french, would you please excuse my french )

Lachlan 717

Re: Scanning 617 with Imacon 617

Cut them and place them between the pages of a big book. When you come back to them, they'll be as flat as a sh#t carter's hat.

This will help their long term storage, and with the scanning.
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

Lachlan 717

By the way, leave them in the plastic sleeve, not "in the raw".
    Lachlan.

Thanks

ARS KC2UU

Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan 617 View Post
    Cut them and place them between the pages of a big book. When you come back to them, they'll be as flat as a sh#t carter's hat.

This will help their long term storage, and with the scanning.
    Sorry but I disagree. We all know what happens to books over time. Others touch them, move them, read them, borrow them, etc. You could also forget which books have your important transparencies or misplace them.

Better to buy a supply of the appropriate Print File archival sleeves (or equivalent) and store your transparencies in 3-ring binders. For 120 6x17 format you will need the 120-4B sleeves. They are readily available.

After shooting near 1000 rolls of film I have all catalogued and stored in the sleeves 100 sleeves to a binder. I also orient the binders upright to reduce crushing forces on the negatives and transparencies.

Cheers. Bob G.
    All natural images are analog. But the retina converts them to digital on their way to the brain.

Lachlan 717

Quote Originally Posted by rguinter View Post
    Sorry but I disagree. We all know what happens to books over time. Others touch them, move them, read them, borrow them, etc. You could also forget which books have your important transparencies or misplace them.

Better to buy a supply of the appropriate Print File archival sleeves (or equivalent) and store your transparencies in 3-ring binders. For 120 6x17 format you will need the 120-4B sleeves. They are readily available.

Cheers. Bob G.
    Sorry but I disagree. We all know what happens to 3-ring binders over time. Others touch them, move them, read them, borrow them, etc. You could also forget which 3-ring binders have your important transparencies or misplace them.

How is a binder different to a book?

Also, I was referring to the duration between processing and scanning, not longterm storage.
    Lachlan.

I am doing the same, after many years I lost my nerve and bought an used Imacon Photo for my 6x17s. Most are Provias or Velvias and came out of various shoeboxes. So far, there seems to be no problem. Some Ilford 3200 b/w negatives are very springy though, the Imacon holder is unable to keep them in place. I have tried putting those under a heavy book, but books get misplaced (usually by me), and lifting them, for whatever reason, makes the negative curl back. and it does not curl like on a film roll, which I could undestand, but along its longitudinal axis.

I cut the film for each slide, I do not think that my Imacon Photo is able to handle complete 120 strips.

as I am in France too, I would like to know if you use any printing service or do you print yourself?

Best regards Christoph

Bonjour Christophe

My answer will be in english. My use of the imacon will take place in a workshop. So I'll print from there not myself.

Otherwise, if I need printing i'm going to Picto Lab

Meilleurs regards as we say in french