Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This forum is going..going ..gone !

This forum is going..going ..gone !

Of recent we have all noticed that this forum may be going the way of the "dodo bird" in the very near future. Recently Wayne asked the question as to what will happen if this forum becomes suddenly unavailable forever in the future.

I would like to jump to the conclusion that this is very likely to happen. So I ask now and invite everybody to respond to this thread until the question is res olved. Q.-Tuan Luong .. if you are out there and reading this, could you please post an answer here for all of us to read.

If not then would somebody who has the knowledge and skill to move and keep this forum alive please step in and make a definitive and positive action towards pl acing this content somewhere it will be safe and reachable.

My apologies if I have offended anybody but I just wish to encourage a positive action to begin before it is too late and the content is lost.

Thanks for reading this.

"I would like to jump to the conclusion that this is very likely to happen."

The sky is falling! the sky is falling!

Seriously, what proofs do you have do you have to make this supposition? My understanding is that these Lusenet (greenspun.com) forums are being moved over ( even as I write this) to the more powerful, more robust, photo.net servers. This does not , as I read it, mean that this forum is goingto be forced into the main photo.net forum section, but will run run seperately on the same machines.

My source is a post yesterday from one of the photo.net worker bees about this very subject. if tuan wants top do something different re the forum hosting, then I'm sure we will get plenty of notice.

There is another LF group on Yahoo:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Largeformat/ -- Q

Just checked out the yahoo LF site.......what a piece of crap!

If you can put up with flashing adds and the tortuous sign in process it may be ok for you.

I'll happily host it on my web site ADD FREE if there is ever the need, but as someone already mentioned, it's been around for years and will carry on into the future.

Claytonwww.bigshotz.co.nz

Yahoo should only be considered as a last resort. I run some groups there and am also a member of the large format group there, and there is nothing I or they can do to get rid of those annoying pop-up ads. The spam mail can be taken care of but it is a major hassle. They made it hard to get to the preference screen, and too many boxes you have to check off. Additionally, Yahoo sometimes munches user profiles. About the only thing I can do is keep spam messages out of my groups and restore privileges to people who got their profiles "eaten".

Old School Wayne

The sky is falling! the sky is falling!

Seriously, what proofs do you have do you have to make this supposition?

---------

the proofs are in the messages last Dec and the year before by Q. Tuan, and the worsening of the access problems here.Heck, even if it isnt going to disappear it is unavailable for days at a time, and those times seems to be getting longer and closer together. Q is currently away I think, and will hopefully fill us in on the situation when he gets back. If you have "proof" otherwise, please provide a link to it rather than dangling a hearsay carrot in front of us ;-) the move to photo.net was discussed long ago, and it was almost unanimous that users didnt want to go there

There's a fellow implementing a Greenspun-like forum over here http://joshwand.com/q-and-a/. He seems serious about it, and invites posters to check it out...

Greg

I have written to the sysadmin at photo.net and asked about this. As soon as I get a response you'll see it here.

Yahoo has its issues, but it does at least work.

I host a Scan-HiEnd group there which is very successful. If you can live with the popup ads, and know how to deal with the spam issues, there are a number of features that make it a reasonable choice.

This is the best list of the lot. I hope it can be kept going.

As an addendum to my original question, I only wanted to add the following. My intention was to NOT raise undue fear or concern unduly but just to error on the side of caution. As others and I have read from previous posts that it is quite possible (quite likely) that greenspun.com will not want to host this site sometime in the near future. Before it goes offline, which would mean that we would loose our ?avenue of communication?, I thought it might be best to help resolve these issues now.

I now would like to hear from Tuan officially (if he is able to comment) to know precisely what the future of this forum is. As I have mentioned previously that if we do not ACT soon, then perhaps we may not have the chance to act later when the situation occurs. We have already been cautioned that there exists the very probable chance that greenspun.com does NOT want to host this site content in the future. We will only be able to blame ourselves in the future if the wonderful content of this site disappears and we sat idly by and did nothing to help Tuan and the others to save it.