Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Alhambra Book Published

Re: Alhambra Book Published

sandy

it is horrific trying to get into places that are contolled by burocrats... official letters, follow up calls, you name it, but in my 18 years here in spain attendance at the alhambra has risen from almost zero to 3,000,000 people a year! you can imagine the accidents waiting to happen (old lady crashes to the floor folloved by an 8x10 deardorff) with even 1% of those visitors yeilding a tripod.

i'm afraid that what has happend here is a model of the US, you need a permit to photograph in most national parks for example and then that nest of hornets "image copyright" (just try to publish a photo of the Guggenheim in Bilbao for example without Gehry getting a slice of the cake). it seems to be one of the things we as photographers are up against and you need the tenacity, time and patience to be able to "get over it". and of course be able to accept failure and move on to the next idea!

adrian

Quote Originally Posted by adrian tyler View Post
    sandy

it is horrific trying to get into places that are contolled by burocrats... official letters, follow up calls, you name it, but in my 18 years here in spain attendance at the alhambra has risen from almost zero to 3,000,000 people a year! you can imagine the accidents waiting to happen (old lady crashes to the floor folloved by an 8x10 deardorff) with even 1% of those visitors yeilding a tripod.

i'm afraid that what has happend here is a model of the US, you need a permit to photograph in most national parks for example and then that nest of hornets "image copyright" (just try to publish a photo of the Guggenheim in Bilbao for example without Gehry getting a slice of the cake). it seems to be one of the things we as photographers are up against and you need the tenacity, time and patience to be able to "get over it". and of course be able to accept failure and move on to the next idea!

adrian
    Adrian,

I noticed a huge difference in access between 1994 and 2001. I had sabbaticals both years and spent several months in Spain in the spring when there are generally not that many tourists in most places. The Alhambra would be an exception I imagine. In 1994 I had almost unlimited access to every place, and in the few places where a tripod was required I was able to get one without too much trouble. When I returned in 2001 to some of the same places I had to jump through hoops to get the permissions.

The trip in 2001 changed my whole concept of visiting Spain. Now I avoid the cities and spend time on the road doing landscape work. But this year I did notice that even in the national parks you may find it impossible to use a tripod. I was photographing this spring in Ordesa in the pirineos/Aragon with a good friend, and great photographer, from La Coruña (José Vázquez Caruncho, Lee knows him by the way) and at one point he told me to put my equipment away because a park official was in the area. I was really surprised to hear that there was this kind of restriction in the national parks but I guess it has become common.

In any event, with all these changes it is even more remarkable that you were able to produce the work for your book, and I am really looking forward to owning it.

Best,

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Quote Originally Posted by adrian tyler View Post
    Hi

Finally after 4 years work my book of images from the Alhambra, Granada, Spain Called "From Darkness to Light, THe Alhambra" is published! It's on its way to the US distributor and available for pre-order at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Alhambra-Darkn...4707811&sr=1-1
    Dear Adrian

Congratulations on the book.... what a fantastic job you have done. I now have a copy in the office and leafing through it brings back the pleasure of working with you on the pictures.

Cheers

Richard - Precision Drum Scanning

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Kenward View Post
    Dear Adrian

Congratulations on the book.... what a fantastic job you have done. I now have a copy in the office and leafing through it brings back the pleasure of working with you on the pictures.

Cheers

Richard - Precision Drum Scanning
    I have received my copy also. Wonderful work. So much of the literature published on the Alhambra has this false super saturated color. I love Adrian's book, in part, because the color looks so realistic.

Sandy King
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon