Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help please - copal shutter swap?

Help please - copal shutter swap?

Hi,

I have a 72mm SA and there is a problem with its shutter - I cannot get the cable release to go in anymore. I think something has gone wrong with the internal threads of the socket.

I will need to get it serviced, but in the meantime can I swap shutters with my 90mm nikkor-SW, which has the same shutter, and seems to have the same spacings etc?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Simon

Re: Help please - copal shutter swap?

I have already answered my own question, the answer is no.

loujon

Hi Simon

I believe you can the order the part & install the cable release port yourself. REALLY! So very easy. Two screws & that's it.

Not sure who sales parts but maybe Carol Fulton? Maybe Bob Salomon Of HP Marketing. He can at least give you a part # or contact. You could call Schneider & they can direct you.

Your not the 1st person to bugger one up I would guess it,s a fairly common failure point so it will be easy to find. Hope that helps a little

Nikkor is the opposite of other copals in many ways. I switched my 90. With another brand copal shutter but he scales are backwards. It worked out with a little markering but not to factory specs.

Quote Originally Posted by spkennedy3000 View Post
    I have already answered my own question, the answer is no.
    Why not?

Dan, FWIW, here's what Schneider says:

Our ranges Super-Angulon (incl. XL types), Super-Symmar XL, Super-Symmar HM, Apo-Componon and Digitar can be only repaired at Schneider-Kreuznach. To optimize the optical parameter in the best possible way an exact re-adjustment of these lenses after repair is absolutely necessary.

Complete shutters should be only exchanged by Schneider Kreuznach directly (also here re-adjustment).

http://www.schneiderkreuznach.com/service/service_e.htm

I know the part you need is £22 in the UK, it's about the same in US $, easy to get and fit. B&H sell them in the US I think. Bob at HP should be able to tell you who else sells them.

Some lenses need shimming for optimum performance. An issue with 90mm f6.8 Schneider Angulon's is the Compur shutters vary & don't space the cells consistently the result is poor performance where the spacing is to great. My 90mm Grandagon is shimmed.

Ian

Oren, thanks for the reference. The lens' lengths in knackered old shutter and in spiffy new one are easily checked. Dial or digital calipers. What I mean is, this is a situation where measurement beats dogma.

Ian, are you referring to pre-WWII Compurs, post-WWII, or only to #00s? I ask because my larger (0, 1) post-WWII Compurs seem to be on spec but my 00s, a mix of pre- and post-WWII, vary a bit as you said.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Why not?
    Well the distances are actually slightly different. Also the aperture scale on the Nikkor goes to 4.5, on the SA only to 5.6, this would certainly cause confusion to me!

Quote Originally Posted by IanG View Post
    I know the part you need is £22 in the UK, it's about the same in US $, easy to get and fit. B&H sell them in the US I think. Bob at HP should be able to tell you who else sells them.

Some lenses need shimming for optimum performance. An issue with 90mm f6.8 Schneider Angulon's is the Compur shutters vary & don't space the cells consistently the result is poor performance where the spacing is to great. My 90mm Grandagon is shimmed.

Ian
    Hi Ian, thanks a lot, do you know where I can get them in the UK?