Thread: Poulsbo, WA - photo locations?

Poulsbo, WA - photo locations?

I'm gonna' be in Poulsbo, WA (Liberty Bay) for a couple of days - I've never been there. Any good views where I can point my 4x5 camera?

I'll have a car so I can swing by Seattle area but would like to know if there's any good locations in Poulsbo.

TIA.

Re: Poulsbo, WA - photo locations?

Port Townsend is about 50 minutes away from there and it has a nice downtown and lots of historic buildings. Poulsbo has a decent downtown too but nowhere near as nice buildings- at least that I've found. Go a little farther and you can go to Port Angeles and Hurricane Ridge in Olympic National Park if the weather's nice for natural views.

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

There's a few things around Poulsbo, but I'd second going up to Port Townsend, with a visit to Fort Flagler Park on the way there. You can see the old gun mounts on Google maps.

The three forts with the naval guns (so-called triangle of death) are pretty interesting. Some have lighthouses and other structures too.

Oh man! I can't wait to see all of these. I will be there for work, but the weekend and weekday mornings will be free for some film exposing.

Brian, Domaz - I'll definitely checkout Port Townsend and Fort Flagler

Kevin - The Triangle of Death sounds intriguing and the lighthouse would be cool to see.

Thank you everyone.

The lighthouses are part of two of the forts. I have not received your email address and so I cannot send you the digital snaps I offered. Kevin

Kevin - I got the images. Thank you so much!

Those light houses looks awesome.

In Port Townsend, the lighthouse and the concrete gun positions are at Fort Worden State Park in the heart of the town. The best gun positions--and they are of massive early-20th century construction--ring the top of Artillery Hill in the park. Port Townsend has lots of Victorian homes, especially in the "Uptown" section on the bluff. "Downtown" on the water (Water Street) consists of mostly brick buildings dating to the late 1880's. In that era, the now-restored hotels on Water Street were largely brothels. If you can, watch the movie, "An Officer and a Gentleman," which was shot in PT. You can even rent the motel suite in which some of the love scenes were filmed--the suite has a copy of the film in it for those who wish to watch the movie again. The new Northwest Maritime Center at the north end of Water Street provides a nice balcony for overlooking Port Townsend Bay, but many of the side streets also give good views. On a clear day, you can see Mt. Ranier, 105 miles away.

Also consider Port Gamble, which is very near the east end of the floating Hood Canal Bridge. It's nice in the same way as Williamsburg, VA. It's a former lumber town from the 1850's, and has nice restored Victorian homes. The old cemetery on the top of a hill in town is photgenic. You can photograph it with its white picket fence and include the Hood Canal also. Port Gamble, built by people from New England, has lots of maple trees that are just starting to turn.

Keith

Keith, thanks for the scoop. I'll definitely drive around town and scout these places you recommended. You also convinced me to bring slide films - hopefully I'll get lucky with the maple trees.