Thread: Processing Film in Diafine with 4-up Hangers

Dave Karp

Processing Film in Diafine with 4-up Hangers

Hi Everyone.

Recently, I started processing my 4x5 film in trays (one sheet at a time), using Diafine 2 bath film developer. My film is Arista 400 or HP5+. Testing showed be st results for me at EI200. I have been happy with the results

I have a large quantity of negatives from a recent trip. A friend gave me some 4 -up stainless steel hangers and stainless steel 1 gallon tanks to use so process ing these negatives will not take forever. He showed me how to load them and agi tate the film.

I have a few questions: Has any one used a similar system to develop negatives w ith Diafine? If yes, is there a practical difference between using the hangers a nd my tray development with regard to the image on the film? Given the nature of the 2 bath developer, will the bulk processing method make a difference? Or sin ce the developer is merely absorbed into the emulsion, and then triggered by the second bath, is the development method immaterial so long as I maintain my 10 s ec agitation per minute routine?

Any other tips for using the 4-up hangers?

Thanks in advance.

Any kind of development in hangers, single hanger or 4 up are bound to give uneven development around the edges of the film.

You can try to use a pre-soak to perhaps even the absorbtion rate of the developer into the emulsion.

But...

If the negative are important, bite the bullit, lock yourself into the darkroom for a week or two (bring a chair and some music) and develop using tray development...

Or...

Process your negs in a Jobo using Expert drums!

4-up stainless hangers are an invention of the Devil. They will not provide even development, even in a nitrogen-burst system. Single stainless hangers can work quite well, but there's practice involved. See the Kodak handbook of Large-form at photography for instructions. (Now published by Silver Pixel Press) Good luck !

Dave Karp

Per & Mark,

Thanks for the tips. I bit the bullet, but with a twist. I found a nice design for a processing panel similar to John Sexton's Slosher. Photographer Phil Bard uses these, and posted his design at www.philbard.com. I used the plans to create two 11x14 panels that work great in my 11x14 trays, allowing me to develop 6 sheets at a time. The panels worked great, at least with Diafine, and I am very happy with the results.