Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Darlot/Jamin casket set

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

Re: Darlot/Jamin casket set

Quote Originally Posted by gandolfi View Post
    almost word by word the description in VM(?)...
    and it sounds like a description of mine.

the 5 cells (beautifully made!!) have numbers on them:

F:11
    F:17
    F:27
    F:38
    F:38

the sixth one looke slightly different - has no numbers, and looks like a cell to be put at the back of the barrel (?)

8 watehouse stops with the numbers:

2-5-6-7-12-15-18-29 (maybe millimeters? the biggest numbers has the biggest hole)
    Just guessing here...

The numbers on the cells would be focal lengths in cm. Maybe the sixth cell is a "flat" correction cell to be used with single cells? That could be why it has no number - no focal length?

The progression of numbers on the stops looks odd, but I think it could very well be hole diameter in mm. A simple measurement will confirm this.

I have a piece of cardboard which I pin to the wall at the end of a corridor. By focussing the image of the window at the other end of the corridor on the cardboard, I can read the focal length of the lens off a simple chart, calibrated with several modern lenses and a classic 15-25-35-45-55-65-75 casket set.

UPDATE

a new set has been sold.

beautiful also, and with the difference from mine, it has a radial drive on it...

on the last image one can see the barrel extended ...

I know that this is an old thread. I have a somewhat nice similar Darlot Casket set (there is a very long time that I have not used it). #60 engraved before Darlot's name, but not sure at all that it is the serial number. Bigger box and some more cells : 6 + 2 on the barrel, 7 waterhouse stops. I can do and post some pictures if interested.

This casket set contains the original hand written instructions for use, with focal lengths and coverage. Combinations of cells are very complex and almost infinite for portrait, landscapes, reproduction, magnification... I wrote some years ago an english translation (approximative with some terms, please be lenient :-)) for a friend. I can send this Word file and the original french text if some of you are interested. Even if the cells are a bit different, it should work approximately the same. Feel free to ask.

Jimmy

All information about trousse sets would be gratefully received here.
    French is no problem as far as tables are concerned!
    This may help Berthiot trousse owners (me) too as we have a system with a fixed rear lens cell as well.

I thought that I could only post jpegs, but it seems that I can post .doc files. Let's try...

If it doesn't work, send me an email to get the files.

Jimmy

Edited : it doesn't work :-)

To add to the confusion of Darlot casket sets, I have one in front of me with serial number 1009 ( as opposed to Sven's 1008!).

This is the one illustrated in the VM in a casket.
    I can see that the focal lengths of my 5 lenses match the legible lens data on the worn guide to it's use on the lid of the casket.

This is apparently the wide angle double achromat/single rear meniscus set, where the position of the waterhouse slot can be moved and locked for the different use. This must be a unique feature!
    Would be grateful for anyone with a more readable copy of the "guide" than that shown in VM (or better resolution!).
    Cells focal lengths are 14, 17. 25, 33 and 45.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails darlotcasket 002.jpg   darlotcasket 001.jpg  

I have done a quick check of Darlot casket sets and have realised that there are 2 very closely related series.
    The one shown in VM is the wide angle version like mine. There is another set - with exactly the same focal length series ( including the missing 38 in my set?) -but with black enamel extensions, at both ends of the barrel, which have the same thread as the lenses. I assume these end pieces can be removed to use the landscape/wide angled features? Westlicht had one in an auction in around 2006 - photos are still there.

Just found this thread. Was looking for info on Darlot Jamin Trousse / Casket sets because just got this Stereo set. It hasn't arrived yet but hoping to get it soon. I was looking for stereo lens sets because I am shooting stereo wet plate collodion tintypes and ambrotypes. I came across this set and couldn't resist. I'm hoping the portrait cells are Petzvals. Has anyone else had any experience with a Darlot Jamin Stereo Trousse set?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DarlotStereoTrouse.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	63.8 KB 
ID:	123601Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trouse4.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	41.9 KB 
ID:	123602Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trouse5.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	58.7 KB 
ID:	123603Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trouse6.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	98.9 KB 
ID:	123604

I had forgotten all about this thread, and that I once owned an incomplete Dalot Universal Trousse!

Pages 135 - 141 in D'Agostini's book are very helpful.

I now have a complete Trousse set ( no. 302)

The Portrait set up is, indeed, a Petzval.

The Stereo set must be unique - or almost? Do the lenses have identical serial numbers - I have a feeling they might. Perhaps one of the sets of loose lenses has the focal length with a S in brackets afterwards (for example 38 (S)? Explanation will come later!

I have posted the following table before, but not in such a relevant thread as this one.
    Note that the reason for the distance adjustment (front and rear cells) system is "Pictorial".
    And the other cells are described as "View or Landscape".

The description is a page from C.E.Elliot - News and Almanack - 1893.
    Note the WHS are stamped inches here rather than mms.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails darlotuniversal 002.jpg   darlotuniversal 001.jpg  

Havn't seen a setero set before - that is a beautiful set.

But the lenses looks a lot loke mine, and yes - the portrait lenses are petzvals (at least mine is)