Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Let Kodak Know What You Think

Remember to take out the trash

Re: Let Kodak Know What You Think

Quote Originally Posted by SAShruby View Post
    Rule number one in business is, if you make profit you run it until you can't.
    Completely false.

Simplified example: a girl sells lemonade with sugar at 1 EUR a pop at 20% margin and is happy with that. Then she hears about artificial sweeteners which are cheaper, and are indistinguishable from sugar; lemonade made with them is at 30% margin! She'd be a fool for not using the artificial sweetener. She could even cut her selling price, thus likely improving her revenue along with a higher margin, making it even more profitable to switch.

To re-iterate: lemonade with sugar remains profitable, but there is an even more profitable option available, so the producer will switch to the more profitable option. That's probably what's happening with Kodak: it very well might be that 8x10 is profitable, but there are more profitable options elsewhere in their business for the time, materials and funds needed for it.

The initial investment in R&D and machinery has been paid out probably years, if not decades ago, so that's also not an issue. They can stop the machines, dismantle them, sell them for scrap metal, and use the space for more profitable business.

Also, the ad hominems don't help the debate.

you can buy now online in www.bhphotovideo.com at least 120 boxes of kodak 400
    ¿whats the problem?

Cooke, Heliar, Petzval...yeah

Ad hominem tu quoque.
    Peter Hruby
    www.peterhruby.ca

Quote Originally Posted by John NYC View Post
    Whatever works. I assume you know already that he will be adding 8x10 Portra 400NC to his page?

Maybe Keith could update the page to show how close he is on each item?
    Of course I don't know the answer to your question. This discussion only started a couple of days ago. However, I see nothing that indicates he wouldn't do so if requested.

I believe the status is being updated. The 16x20 TriX order needs 17 more boxes as of three days ago, so someone is updating the totals. Keeping this information up to date requires that the dealers notify Canham of the pre-order quantities they receive. It's in their interest to do so, because if the minimum quantity is not achieved, they do not get that business.

I did not mean to sound critical. I was just suggesting we use an existing mechanism to avoid diluting our purchasing power. If people prefer to do it here, fine.

--
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by prado333 View Post
    ¿whats the problem?
    Not everyone is going to be able to afford to buy themselves a 5 year supply right now at $100 a box. And because of that, they are lamenting that it will not be available in the future when they want to buy it.

Got a prompt reply from Kodak:

Dear Andrew,
    Thank you for contacting us for information on the availability of Kodak sheet film.
    Unfortunately, the Kodak High Speed Infrared Film was discontinued due to a lack of interest from photographers based on the sales (or lack thereof) for it. Even limiting the number of runs of production, demand was not enough for us to continue to offer it. We do not have plans to resurrect this product. The closest I have heard of is from Maco Photo out of Germany that goes to about 800nm (ours went to about 900nm).
    Although the Kodak Professional T-Max 400 Film is only available in 10-sheet boxes, you might check with your dealer(s) of Kodak Professional products, like B&H Photo (800-947-9980) and Badger Graphics (ph. 920-766-9332), for them to work with their Kodak Professional Account Representative to see if they can put a special order together.
    Please let us know if you have future questions on this or other of our Kodak Professional products.
    Sincerely,
    Peter V.
    Kodak Professional
    Technical Support
    800-242-2424 ext. 19

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

What are you guys going to write to Kodak about next? Panatomic-X? Super-XX? Kodachrome in 4x5? How about bringing back B&W paper production?

You know these aren't coming back.
    (I stocked up on 4x5 HIE.)

Cordless Bungee Jumper Sirius Glass's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by prado333 View Post
    ¿whats the problem?
    NC I am not concerned about. The new product will be like NC. I wanted 400 VC in 4x5. Even more UC 400 in 4x5!

Steve
    Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

At this point, while I understand people's consternation, I am just glad there is still film to shoot. It is unfortunate when a film gets discontinued. I almost had a coronary when AGFA went out of business since every film/chemical/paper I used at the time was AGFA. I adapted.

And Frank, since you change cameras with the same frequency as some people change underwear, you will forget all about the discontinuation of 5x7 soon enough. Onwards and upwards as they say.

Whoa, photographers change their underwear?

Yeah I am quite promiscuous, luckily cameras don't spread diseases. They do, however, clean out your wallet just like a....

(And I'll admit, as good as 8x10 Portra 400NC was, it was too damn expensive to shoot exclusively.)