Thread: Filtering close-up lights during a night time photograph?

Filtering close-up lights during a night time photograph?

I have been shooting 8x10 negatives during the night time that have been working perfectly, except in one area. All of my photographs are exposed for over 2.5 h ours and developed using D-23 developer. It works perfect, but when I am close o r within 50ft. of a light or basically street lights and very bright lights near the camera, the light will burn out a portion of the negative when developed. T he other lights come out gr8 and I have no other problem, but is there a filter I can use to prevent this? The lens is open for at least 2.5 hours and that is t he minimum time. PS- If anyone know about platinum printing, what developers are good for dark ph otographs?

Sean -

I have no particular help to offer, but would recommend a book I just got out of the library and am currently reading. Its "Night Photography" by Andrew Sanderson, published in 2002 by Amphoto Books, ISBN 0-8174-5007-6 (~$30). The author covers night photography using 35 mm, 2-1/4 and 4 x 5 film. He provides examples from his work in the UK and addresses film development and printing methods he's used for 20+ years. He discusses the use of Lith masks for your kind of problem. Check you library, bookstore or camera store for this offering. Good luck.

Dave Erb

Sean, I like night shooting too, (BUT IN THE SUMMER!) at 6000 ft. where I live in Nevada. Point transfer is caused by a phenomenon where the grains expose each other in a direction outward from the main source. Try a filter like a UV protecter and stick a tiny piece of bubble gum right on that sucker just where the offending close light is. Probably won't get it all but what have you got to lose. I normally just go with the flow and position the best I can to make the lights that you can't get rid of add to the effect that says "night shot" Never had to shoot longer than 90 minutes though even with Velvia. This is an area where "Biogon" type lenses shine because you can great VERY sharp results at f8 side to side.