Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: West Virginia Fall Colours

West Virginia Fall Colours

I have the first two weeks in October free and was thinking of driving from DC and exploring West Virginia.

I'm hoping that at higher elevations the leaves should be starting to change colour by then (I would have preferred the second and third week of October for my trip but can't get the time off work).

Any suggestions for driving routes; convenient stop off points where I might find inexpensive lodgings; and - above all - some must see locations for setting up the tripod?

Cordless Bungee Jumper Sirius Glass's Avatar

Re: West Virginia Fall Colours

I am listening. West Virginia, Virginia, ...

Steve
    Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

I typically hit the Canaan Valley area around that time of year. The colors usually are at their best around the 8thy-10th of Oct or so- a week later can be really spotty. From Canaan you can hit Dolly Sods and the Blackwater Falls areas. If the area has strong winds, all bets are off-most trees there dont do well with that kind of situation. The drought this year wont bode well for that area either. As for places to stay- Canaan Valley Resort is a no frills fairly inexpensiv e plate to stay or camping at Blackwater Falls campgrounds is fairly priced as well.

For updates on the fall color, check out this web site: http://www.foliagenetwork.com/index.php
    This site gives twice weekly updates and started yesterday.
    They have a great archive that goes back several years and can give you a general trend as to when the peaks might be at various locations.

Well, I have half a mind!

The higher elevations (3800-4800 feet) are usually at peak during the first week of October, and sometimes a bit earlier. Mid elevations (2600-3800) usually peak the second week. The real beauty of the entire region around the Monongahela National Forest is that you can start high and work your way down as the color progresses. Most of the best spots - Dolly Sods, Blackwater Falls, Canaan Valley, the Spruce Knob area, Seneca Rocks - are in the northern half, but there are plenty of good areas in the southern region, too: Highland Scenic Highway follows mountain ridges a bit above 4000 feet, and the area north and east of the New River Gorge Bridge (including the Glade Creek Grist Mill at Babcock State Park) are usually decent around the end of the second week. I will be, at some point in time, in most of these areas sometime in the first two weeks, so if you see some goofy looking guy driving a red Tacoma, there is a good chance that it will be me - don't hesitate to flag me down.

Unfortunately, as Eric pointed out, the near drought conditions may ruin colors this year. The ground is parched and streams are very low. In spite of this you will probably be able to find color "hot spots" if you look hard enough.

As for specific suggestions:
    -The northern end of Dolly Sods at TNC's Bear Rocks Preserve - color is usually good the first week. Fantastic spot for sunrises, especially if the valley to the east is foggy, but it is a popular spot so you won't be alone.
    -The canyon overlook area at Blackwater Falls State Park - usually good colors in the canyon the second week.
    -Canaan Valley
    -Spruce Knob Lake for good color reflections, and since you are basically there already, continue on down Gandy Creek.
    -If colors are lousy but you have an overcast or rainy day, you might try going north to Cathedral State Park. Little autumn color to speak of, but nice trails through a virgin hemlock forest.
    -Highland Scenic Highway in Pocahontas County, then west just a short distance from the southern end to Cranberry Glades, Hills Creek Falls also, about five miles further west (if we happen to get some appreciable amounts of rain). Might also check out the first five or six miles of the Williams River west of the HSH.
    -Seneca Rocks, and North Fork Mountain, though the colors there don't usually peak until about the third week.
    -and if you happen to have the third Saturday open and the weather is good, run down to the New River Gorge Bridge for Bridge Day - they close the bridge to vehicular traffic from 9:00 AM to 3:00 PM one day each year. You can walk out onto the bridge and watch the BASE jumpers do some very crazy things! - not a good time for large format so take something smaller with a long lens. And you definitely will not be alone.

Lodging during the weekends will be pretty "iffy" but finding something on the weekdays should be a bit easier. In the north, Canaan Valley State Park has cabins and a lodge (a bit dated but at least the roof doesn't leak), Blackwater Falls also has cabins and a lodge. Petersburg has three motels, and there are a couple more (Smoke Hole, Yokums) heading WSW on Rt 28 from Petersburg toward Seneca Rocks. In the south, there are a couple motels near Highland Scenic Highway in Marlinton, and several in the Fayetteville/Summersville area near New River Gorge.

Some of these areas are on dirt roads so expect plenty of dust. Plan for 20 degree mornings at the higher elevations and 80 degree afternoons.

Bryan - thanks for the helpful advice. I hope that the drought doesn't completely spoil the colour. From what I've been reading, it seems like it's a really beautiful part of the country. I'm only temporarily in the US (from the UK) so it's exciting to explore!

Quote Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
    Bryan - thanks for the helpful advice. I hope that the drought doesn't completely spoil the colour. From what I've been reading, it seems like it's a really beautiful part of the country. I'm only temporarily in the US (from the UK) so it's exciting to explore!
    * 2 !

Steve

As a native West Virginian, I can attest that it really is a beautiful part of the country...especially the eastern part of the state that lies in the mountains.

Well, I have half a mind!

Don't be surprised if the colors are close to a week late this year. I took a trip into the area last week and things didn't look too promising. Just compared notes with a friend who was there this week - it doesn't sound like things have progressed much. We have some cool nights in the forecast for the weekend/first half of next week with lows in the thirties. Hopefully that will help things along.

Hey Steve (Sirius Glass): "cordless bungee jumper"??

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Lemasters View Post
    Hey Steve (Sirius Glass): "cordless bungee jumper"??
    This is a high impact sport that does not require expensive equipment that is heavy to move around. Great views. High excitement. One can get great coverage and make a big impact.

I am looking to break the current record of one jump.

Volunteers are welcome!

Steve