Thread: Eversmart DT-Files and Photoshop CS4: Where to put DTFormatPlugin/DTTonedPlugin

Eversmart DT-Files and Photoshop CS4: Where to put DTFormatPlugin/DTTonedPlugin

Hi,

I scan 8x10 inch bw neg film with the creo eversmart scanner as DT-files. On the Computer with the oxyGen scan program I can open the file in Photoshop CS4 as DT-Toned files. I looked for the plugins, copied them and put them in the Folder:
    Applications>Adobe Photoshop CS4>PlugIns>File Formats>DTFormatPlugin

But the format is not available. What do I wrong?

Thank you
    Best,
    Johannes

Re: Eversmart DT-Files and Photoshop CS4: Where to put DTFormatPlugin/DTTonedPlugin

Quote Originally Posted by jsch View Post
    Hi,

I scan 8x10 inch bw neg film with the creo eversmart scanner as DT-files. On the Computer with the oxyGen scan program I can open the file in Photoshop CS4 as DT-Toned files. I looked for the plugins, copied them and put them in the Folder:
    Applications>Adobe Photoshop CS4>PlugIns>File Formats>DTFormatPlugin

But the format is not available. What do I wrong?

Thank you
    Best,
    Johannes
    Hi Johannes,

Sorry, but I don't know the answer to your question. If you don't get an answer on this forum I would suggest you try the high end scan group on Yahoo. http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/ScanHi-End/

There are some people there with pretty extensive knowledge of Eversmart scanners.

Sandy King
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Re: Eversmart DT-Files and Photoshop CS4: Where to put DTFormatPlugin/DTTonedPlugin

Hi Johannes.

Did you find a solution?

On my G4 Mac (PPC) the plugin is in MacHD > Applications > Adobe Photoshop CSx > Plug-ins > DTFormatPlugin > Contents > MacOS > DTFormatPlugin.8bi.

Im dealing with the same problem opening the DT files from my Eversmart Pro II og a new Mac. Im moving from PPC Mac to Mac Pro Intel and have not found a way to get the plugins to work on the new one.

My suggest is that the plugins will not work on Intel Macs. I installed Rosetta (Apple PPC emulator) but without any result so far.

If you found a solution for Intel Mac environment I would be pleased to "hear" from you.

Best rgds.
    Fridrik Fr.

I believe that DTi was written only for the PPC and that any software going forward for the Intel based Mac are not going to happen.
    Has anyone confirm that there is a version 2.6.4 software for the Intel based scanners (Select II & Supreme II) I know that the 2.6.3 exits and that for the Eversmart Pro II, it stops at 2.3.5.1 and up to OS 10.4 Tiger on PPC.

I'm going to load up OS9.22 as a dual boot with Photoshop 7, as I have the DTi for PS7. Would a simple scan and Opening up in PS7 with the plugin to "create" the 16 bit file good enough?

I was planning on going this route by Re-Saving it out as Tiff and Open this same file on on my newer Intel Mac. I am guessing that this will work. Is there any difference between opening the original scanned file on the Intel Mac as a 16 bit and allow CS Suite to convert it to a 16 bit?

To me it's the same.
    I fix it as follows:

A DT files, we change the suffix on the other, in my case TIFF, and then open them in Photoshop
    Xavier Deltell
    www.xavierdeltell.es

Xavier,

With your original DT file "renamed" to a TIFF, is it 16 bit or 8 bit file? That is what I would like to know.

Hello,

Is a 16 bit "TIFF".
    Xavier Deltell
    www.xavierdeltell.es

Hi,

I found no way to open the DT-Toned file on an Intel Mac with the plugin.

What I did for black&white 8x10 inch film: scan a DT file with 1440 dpi to keep the file under 1 GB. Then I convert the DT/RGB file in Adobe Camera Raw into a grey profile with a gamma of 1.8 so the file size goes down to about 350 MB. I do all the curve work with ACR. To remove dust an scratches I open the file in PS (as tiff not as RAW). To work like that keeps the file size small.

In the meantime I switched to a Epson V 750 scanner. Now I scan 2400 dpi to a 16 bit b&w HDR file with Silverfast. I pack the film between 2 glass plates (Schott Mirogard, 3 mm thick). The focal plane for film (full size) of the scanner is 3 mm above the scanner glass. Newton rings are no problem but dust is one.

Why did I switch: The Eversmart was not mine. So I bought the Epson. I don't see much difference between 1440 (Eversmart) and 2400 (Epson). But I scan for my archive so I use the highest useful resolution of the Epson and the Epson RAW format which they call HDR. I like the handling of the Eversmart better: no glas-film-sandwich, 2 film sheets in one scan.

Best,
    Johannes

I see your post on oXYgen scan is back to May 30, but I thought you still may like to see the answers to some of your questions.

I believe that DTi was written only for the PPC and that any software going forward for the Intel based Mac are not going to happen.

In 2.6.3, only the GCAR sub application, and the FireWire driver are Intel native. The rest of the software, including the main interface is still PPC. DT does still work though.

I know that the 2.6.3 exists and that for the Eversmart Pro II

It is also for the Eversmart Supreme. Kodak likely has a separate part number for the Pro II. I believe you have to buy the software, even though it has the same version number, for your model scanner. So 2.6.3 for the iQsmart series will not work for the Eversmart scanners. The part number for the Eversmart Supreme and Select (or II models) is 634-00277F. I don't know what it is for the Pro or iQsmart line.

Oh, almost forgot to add. We haven't received the 2.6.4 software yet (should be soon). When it arrives and we get it installed, I'll post the details of the box as to exactly what hardware and software it supports. Also whether or not the main application is still PPC, or if it's finally been ported to be Intel native.

The front of the box says 2.6.3 is for Supreme II and Select II scanners. More specifically on the back, it states it runs on a Power Mac G5 or any Intel Mac that uses Xeon CPUs or at least the Core Duo chip. I would presume that means it won't run on an early Intel iMac using the single core CPU. OS X versions supported by 2.6.3 are 10.4.x or 10.5.x.

What it doesn't say is that 2.6.3 also supports the original Supreme and Select scanners as long as you have a SCSI to FireWire converter. We have a Scitex badged Supreme connected with a Ratoc FireWire/SCSI bridge. It works as expected in Leopard, 10.5.x.

Has anyone confirmed that there is a version 2.6.4 software for the Intel based scanners (Select II & Supreme II)

Yes. We just ordered it so we can use our Supreme in Snow Leopard. According to Kodak, 2.6.4 (for the Mac version) is only for Snow Leopard, 10.6.x. The order form again states only the Supreme II and Select II, but was informed it does also support the original Supreme or Select using a SCSI to FireWire connector.

Actually, the Supreme II and Select II are also still SCSI scanners. That big metal cover on the back just covers up the SCSI 1 connectors and the cable running on the inside to a SCSI/FireWire bridge, so you only see the FireWire 400 connection on the outside. And that little selector on the back for Normal (pos 5) and Lock (pos 8)? Yes, it is just what you think it is. A SCSI ID selector. Along with the obvious SCSI termination selector to its left.

Here's the info on oXYgen Scan 2.6.4.

This seems to have been thrown together rather quickly. When the splash screen comes up, it says version 2.6.2! Obviously wrong, and just a minor quibble. A rather big mistake is on the package. It still states you can use a PowerPC G5. Impossible since it also says 10.6.x only, and you can't install Snow Leopard on any PPC Mac.

The back of the box also still states a part number of 634-00277F, but the disk itself says 633-00277K.

2.6.4 fixes the one issue that prevented 2.6.3 from working in Snow Leopard. It now sees the Profiles folders so you can assign input and output profiles. If it weren't for that, Kodak wouldn't even have needed to create a 2.6.4 version.

The main application is still PPC, so you do need Rosetta installed. The BGCAR bridge between oXYgen Scan and the scanner is 32 bit Intel, same as in 2.6.3.

Here's the big catch. The FireWire driver is still only 32 bit. So if you have your Mac set to boot 64 bit, you'll have to put it back to the 32 bit boot kernel in order for the software to work. This is a big problem for the newest Snow Leopard Macs, which now only boot 64 bit. For those users, 2.6.4 simply will not work.

I called Kodak and informed them of this issue. The FireWire driver needs to be updated to support 64 bit. They're looking into it.