Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is it about a Deardorff...

What is it about a Deardorff...

What is it about a Deardorff that gives rise to so many devoted users? As I`ve j ust finished refurbishing the 5x7 last week, it is once again a FOLDING camera. By the way, for those of you in need, Camera Bellows UK does a nice job on repla cement bellows.

For me it's several things. First, I love wooden things and old things, so my pre 1950 'Dorff qualifies as both. The craftsmanship and ease of operation makes it a joy to use. At this point I don't even have to think about what I'm doing, which I can't say for the Nikon I've been using for over twice as long. There's also the fact that it's a great part of American photo history. But overall it's more of a visceral thing than anything else. When I'm using it, it feels right. The feel of the wood worn velvety smooth with use, the knobs, and even the smell enhance the experience. No, it's not perfect. I'd like about 6" more extension and shift, but even if I could afford another 8x10, I'd never get rid of my Deardorff. I've had it 2 years and it's by far the most wonderful camera I've ever had.

I also second the recommendation of Camera Bellows. I originally refurbished my Deardorff when I first got it, but only just replaced the bellows in the last month or so. The difference is incredible. I can actually make it out to *full extension* now. The service was quick, easy, and the bellows are not only top quality but an incredible bargain. A great company to do business with.

There is a story that much of the mahogany Deardorff used was recycled from saloons: bars and back bars that were made unnessary by the volstead act(prohibition.) Maybe thats is why I feel so "at home" behind my 'dorff?
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Steve, I use an Ebony and I get the same sort of experience when using it!! I can only echo what's been said about the Deardorff, and maybe in years to come people will feel the same about their "old" Ebony?

Apart from the intangibles that others have mentioned and with which I agree (I thought mine might be the only one that smelled so nice - is that the wood or the bellows?), I like the following: (1) it's very simple to operate. I think even someone who had never used a large format camera before could easily figure it out. (2) Opening and closing takes a matter of seconds, nothing complicated or tricky. (3) It has a neat little gadget for about an inch and a half or so of front rise that I've never seen on any other view camera. (4) It's rock solid. Mine is about fifty years old but everything still locks down tightly, there's no play in any of the movement, etc. (5) I wouldn't mind an extra few inches of bellows but realistically what's there is plenty for most people. I use lenses ranging from 159 mm to 550 mm without any problems. My only dislike is the weight and the fact that the same wing nut controls both front rise and fall and front tilt, making it necessary to exercise care that one doesn't move while you're changing the other.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

I wish mine had zero detents.

It's like a '40 Ford coupe. Looks like a million bucks just sitting still.

When Sammy Hagar joined Van Halen, he and Edward decided to head down to the studio to record some tracks. Eddie grabbed a guitar and literally tossed it in the back of his pickup. Concerned, Sammy asked how he could treat his guitar that way. Eddie's reply was, "It gives 'em character." My Deardorff has character.

Does anyone know if Camera Bellows UK has a web site? I've been trying to find a replacement for my old Super Speed Graphic and the only source I know of, Steven Shugart is not able to find one. At this point I would be happy having one made as long as it is the same length and thickness as the original. ( I will also need one for my Kodak 2D, but that will be a while yet. )

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

Camera Bellows UK are at www.camerabellows.com