Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Photos of Pregnancy

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Photos of Pregnancy

I couldn't find a thread that seemed appropriate for pregnancy photos. This is not exactly a portrait.

There must be others who do some LF pregnancy stuff. Let's see some.

Taken with Korona 8x10 on HP4+. Printed on Ilford MGWT, thiocarbamide toner.

Re: Reproduction

I found another one from a couple of years ago. This was taken with my Crown Graphic and printed on Ilford MGWT.

I know there is a market for a photos like this, but I have to say the first time I saw one I wondered who would really want one. And what they would do with it if they did. I don't mean to put down anyone who takes these for pay to satisfy the apparent wide demand, or anyone who executes the idea well, which clearly has been done here.

To me, this is the cliche that stepped up right behind the one that involved the contrasty, muscled father of the newborn, cradling his little baby in his hands or arms. It was striking the very first time I saw it done, interesting the next couple times I saw it, but after about the 10th time, it definitely became an "oh one of those" kind of picture.

Even an "oh one of those" picture can have special significance to the parties in it, or who hired someone to make it. But a third trimester thread of them for general consideration?

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Crisp View Post

To me, this is the cliche that stepped up right behind the one that involved the contrasty, muscled father of the newborn, cradling his little baby in his hands or arms. It was striking the very first time I saw it done, interesting the next couple times I saw it, but after about the 10th time, it definitely became an "oh one of those" kind of picture.
    then the challenge would be for us photographers, to try and make images beyond that clichee? Like all other "well documented" topics....

I do understand you, but I don't understand, why so many photographers doesn't seem to see other things than "the usual", when making a clichee topic.

(pregnancy/nudes(!!)/birds/roses(!!!!!) and so on).

I have made a LOT of pregnancy images - I like the challenge, and the beauty of the mother(s) to be...

some examples:

runs a monkey grinder Steve M Hostetter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gandolfi View Post
    then the challenge would be for us photographers, to try and make images beyond that clichee? Like all other "well documented" topics....

I do understand you, but I don't understand, why so many photographers doesn't seem to see other things than "the usual", when making a clichee topic.

(pregnancy/nudes(!!)/birds/roses(!!!!!) and so on).

I have made a LOT of pregnancy images - I like the challenge, and the beauty of the mother(s) to be...

some examples:
    These are great! That second one is the best! That Beelzebub gets all the action

Re: Photos of Pregnancy

Here is my oldest 4x5 pregnancy shot. It is a self portrait done during my 1st pregnancy. (I'm a grandmother now). Unfortunately the negative has gone missing over the years - though the boring, bad ones have survived.

I had to sell my cameras and darkroom when the kids were little and finances were tight. It's only in recent years I've returned to LF. A great place to be.

Quote Originally Posted by sly View Post
    Here is my oldest 4x5 pregnancy shot. It is a self portrait done during my 1st pregnancy. (I'm a grandmother now). Unfortunately the negative has gone missing over the years - though the boring, bad ones have survived.

I had to sell my cameras and darkroom when the kids were little and finances were tight. It's only in recent years I've returned to LF. A great place to be.
    nice unpretentious image.
    You look comptable in the situation.

Good the image is stil here..

You've already seen these in the portraits thread but since there's an specific one for pregnancy photos, I'll post again (sorry.)

These were taken for ourselves. I tried to escape the conventional look of pregnancy photos. I must say it is quite difficult!

Next, I'll try something less staged with a Speed Graphic.

That is one of the mose beautiful shots of a woman I have seen, I love the lighting and the expression on the face, Great Work

This is so nice! One can see how happy you were these days.

Tomorrow my sister is going to give birth to her second boy. Today I made two 8x10 portraits of her... Looking forward to developing it!