Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Where did you get your LF camera from?

Where did you get your LF camera from?

Hello, I am a second year uni student but I do photography for over 12 years now; recently we were introduced to large format cameras and immediately I fell in love I thought I would buy one myself but I found them rather pricey. When I was looking for a cheaper choice I came across to a product called Buldog which is basically home made LF camera. But it seems that it is being sold without any lens so the question of the price is the same. I was just wondering where did you buy yours LF cameras..?? Perhaps you could give me a tip..Many Thanks..ant.

Re: Where did you get your LF camera from?

In the USA the best used gear site is www.keh.com. They ship internationally. I got my camera new from Badger Graphics.
    Wally Brooks

Everything is Analog!
    Any Fool Can Shoot Digital!
    Any Coward can shoot a zoom! Use primes and get closer.

Baby Wista - Zone VI in 1984. Norma - the sadly defunct ProCam in White River Junction, VT. Alice - directly from Richard Ritter Manufacturing's World Wide Districution Center in White River Junction, VT.
    Bruce Barlow
    author of "Finely Focused" and "Exercises in Photographic Composition"
    www.brucewbarlow.com

Sinar F from closing studio
    Zone VI field from Ebay

Mike

Individuals. In their homes. Person to person.
    You don't need to spend a lot of money. My first kit was a Speed Graphic, Kodak Ektar 127mm lens (stunningly sharp), 5 4x5 holders & 200mm Voigtlander lens for $100.
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the North Carolina rainforest.

Wayne's Blog

FlickrMyBookFaceTwitSpacei

Interesting question. I was in college, 45 years after I graduated the first time. I was there as a retired person taking a view camera course in his late 60s when I bought my first LF camera. I had wanted one since I was in college the first time, 1959-1964, studying architectural history.

4x5 Linhof Technikardan, eBay from Scotland to Bath, Ohio USA
    8x10 Phillips, eBay from the estate of a man in Louisville, Kentucky to Ohio
    8x10 Sinar P, eBay from a closing California studio to Ohio
    7x17 Phillips, A friend knew I wanted the camera model that a friend of his wanted to sell, Texas to Ohio

Lenses, loupe, dark cloth, film holders, bags, baby jogger to carry the 7x17, darkroom equipment, all on eBay. I even bought film on eBay, but most was purchased from dealers. Some darkroom equipment was purchased from a company that only salvages equipment from bankrupt printers; large light table, flat files, plate burner for alternate process printing, stainless sink.

John

Wooden Zone VI 4x5 from Jim at Midwest Photo Exchange. 8x10 Burke & James monorail from Ebay.

Mike
    Politically, aerodynamically, and fashionably incorrect.

Um, original poster, it would be helpful to know where you're located.

Four Graphics, one Graflex, all 2x3, all at camera shows. 4x5 Calumet, eBay. 2x3 Cambo, gift from a friend given in anticipation of his death. Yes, he's died. Not the best way to acquire a camera.

Many LF lenses from many sources: web sites, including some junk dealers, i.e., not all of them camera stores' sites; camera shows; eBay (US, UK, France, Spain); several of the French and Dutch equivalents of craigslist; photographic bulletin boards including this one and Compuserve.

Quote Originally Posted by akyiia View Post
    Hello, I am a second year uni student but I do photography for over 12 years now; recently we were introduced to large format cameras and immediately I fell in love I thought I would buy one myself but I found them rather pricey. When I was looking for a cheaper choice I came across to a product called Buldog which is basically home made LF camera. But it seems that it is being sold without any lens so the question of the price is the same. I was just wondering where did you buy yours LF cameras..?? Perhaps you could give me a tip..Many Thanks..ant.

What is your intended, or primary use? It might help determine the type of LF camera which then might influence where to get it, how much it might cost, etc. If you want one with all the movement capabilities for learning purposes, a monorail might be your best bet and quite reasonable. However, if you plan to take it far and wide hiking in the field it might not be your best bet. As you can see, more info. might be useful.

funkadelic

I can second the KEH recommendation, but I prefer Midwest Photo Exchange (http://www.mpex.com) for large format gear. Jim has been very helpful in answering questions pertaining to the few things I've bought there. I understand they have a good return policy also, but I've never had to use it.
    I've bought and traded a few cameras (and many lenses) here and on APUG. I prefer to deal with someone who has been around for awhile, and not someone who recently joined. Not that they aren't honorable, but a track record of honesty goes a long way in my view.