Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Zone VI Paper Developer Alternative

Re: Zone VI Paper Developer Alternative

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Bruce - I still have some Zone VI packets on hand, and it's definitely not #76 - related
    MQ formula but cooler and with a little better shadow separation (as noted already,
    to help the blocking of shadows in the late great graded Brilliant bromide paper). I quit
    using it when I worked up my above formula for Polygrade V, which doesn't respond
    well to either amidol or glycin. But with a couple of my favorite new papers, namely
    Kentmere FP and Adox MCC, both amidol and Ansco 130 give much better image color
    for me than any MQ or PQ formula.
    Well, it's your word against Fred's. Fred also said to use ZVI 1:2 rather that the 1:3 in the instructions.

My favorite developer with Forte Polygrade V is Fine Art VersaPrint II, available from the Formulary. It's got glycin. When I showed all my test prints in Monterey at the View Camera conference to quite a collection of photographers, all but Paula Chamlee chose my favorite paper (Polygrade V) and developer (VersaPrint) out of 400 options. It was kinda creepy to see such consistency. It continued the following year in Springfield, Mass.

So I guess I'm quibbling with the Polygrade and glycin statement.
    Bruce Barlow
    author of "Finely Focused" and "Exercises in Photographic Composition"
    www.brucewbarlow.com

Drew Wiley

Bruce - somewhere I have the actual formula for Zone VI, and the level of hydroqu.
    is above that of Dektol. Doesn't matter - all one has to do is mix the two and the
    effect is distinct once actual prints are made. Don't care what Fred did or didn't say;
    but according to a previous post, there were apparently two different generations of
    ZVI dev, and I have the latest. I only use it with RC Ilford paper for commercial work,
    never for personal prints any more. As far as glycin is concerned, it's used in all kinds of ways, including in BW65. But the popular 130 formula didn't give me what I wanted at all with Polygrade V, especially considering this thread is about cold tone developers
    per se. Kinda academic now, however, since this particular paper is out of production,
    and all I've got left myself is a 50-sheet box of 20X24.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sampson View Post
    i'll agree with Drew about the Z-VI developer, his description fits my experience. But Dektol 1:2 still works well for me, and it's a local product.
    Merg, I used A-130 1:1 and it needed 3 minutes in the developer. In my basement darkroom it's rarely above 68 and I'd bet A-130 works better at higher temps. I does look good but in the end, the extra time spent and the added expense made me decide to keep it simple. Since I use selenium toner, I can control the tone color there.
    Truth be told, the change from Kodak Polymax Fine-Art to Ilford MG IV FB has been more significant than any changes in the paper developer.
    Mark, thanks. Yes, Hydroquinone and Glycin perform best above 68. I usually keep the developer betweeen 72 and 75 degrees and go at least 2 minutes. A-130 is still one of my favorites, with slight modification.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Barlow View Post
    Well, it's your word against Fred's. Fred also said to use ZVI 1:2 rather that the 1:3 in the instructions.

My favorite developer with Forte Polygrade V is Fine Art VersaPrint II, available from the Formulary. It's got glycin. When I showed all my test prints in Monterey at the View Camera conference to quite a collection of photographers, all but Paula Chamlee chose my favorite paper (Polygrade V) and developer (VersaPrint) out of 400 options. It was kinda creepy to see such consistency. It continued the following year in Springfield, Mass.

So I guess I'm quibbling with the Polygrade and glycin statement.
    OK Bruce, I've got to ask......what did Paula prefer?

A couple of times I tested a number of papers blindly to find the one I preferred. On some level, I wanted to prefer some obscure paper which would demonstrate my superior taste. I was, of course, disappointed to prefer Kodak (Polymax FA). Once that died, I did a similar test and found Kentmere FP VC. It was more by habit that I use the Zone VI developer and I always got good results with it so no reason to change. I just compared it side by side to Dektol. To my eye, the tones with Dektol are slightly colder and less contrasty untoned, and nearly indistinguishable toned. So I guess that plain old Dektol will be good enough for me.

Thanks for all of the lively conversation though. I might try Bromophen and the PF developer (? BW65 - I bought a bottle years ago and never got around to using it - I prefer powder developers).

John B: Paula liked Ilford Galerie Grade 2, and I don't remember which developer.

Drew: Totally agree about 130 - it's nice if you like warm. VersaPrint iis reasonably cold, so there's something afoot other than glycin. I will say that 130 and VersaPrint last forever, and when I tried different dilutions, I couldn't tell any difference, so the economics versus Dektol can be mitigated. How much Polygrade do you have in your freezer? I have a bunch.
    Bruce Barlow
    author of "Finely Focused" and "Exercises in Photographic Composition"
    www.brucewbarlow.com

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Bruce - somewhere I have the actual formula for Zone VI, and the level of hydroqu.
    i......
    Drew, can you post it? Thanks!
    Tony
    Newnan, GA
    Cambo 23SF