Thread: Transporting Pictures to Art Fairs

Transporting Pictures to Art Fairs

I've begun to show my work at some local art fairs. I currently transport the pictures in a minivan in cardboard boxes (30 inches wide, 25 inches high, 5 inches deep). I load four framed pictures per box, separated by poster board. I've seen other photographers using plastic or metal boxes that are sturdier and more protective than what I'm doing, but have not had a chance to talk to them while at the fair. Another major concern is moving the boxes in the rain when I can't get the van near my location. My pictures are various sizes, from 18x18 inches to 18x29 inches, framed.

The question - what other methods are used to transport pictures to and from art fairs?

Thanks

Re: Transporting Pictures to Art Fairs

To simplify logistics, most of my photos are either mounted and matted or framed to 16x20 inches. Six framed photos fit nicely in a 18x22x6 inch box from uline.com. A sheet of 18x22 corrugated cardboard lines the bottom of the box. One print is placed face up on it, and covered with another sheet of cardboard. Then two prints, back to back, and another sheet of cardboard are added. This is repeated once. A photo, face down, and another sheet of cardboard, fill the box. One order of these boxes has served well for many years, although they do get tattered. Reenforcing them with tape helps. Each box is numbered so the photos can be cataloged and easily found. Using only a few frame sizes makes ordering mats and frames in quantity more economical in my low budget rural area.

Thanks to lihuahellen and Jim for your comments/suggestions.

Jim - my system is similar to yours except I use boxes open on the long edge instead. I'll look into your system for my purposes. One complicating factor is I have not standardized on a picture size.

Again, thanks for the comments/suggestions.

Norm

Andi Heuser

Hi,

If the boxes are not shipped with a ordinary forwarder it is enough to put them
    in solid cardboard boxes as described. Maybe there could be glued air bubble film
    on the cardboard that is between the frames.
    For the rain protection I would suggest selfmade plastic coats made from solid plastic
    fixed together with strong tape.

If the boxes are shipped with an ordinary forwarder....
    Even if the forwarder tells, it's a direct shipping and no transhipping will be happen
    and you see every thing is stowed savely - in most cases it's only fake.

In fact most forwarders think they have more experience how much the freight
    can bear than the "stupid" customer.
    And so it can happen that your boxes find their way into a groupage freight trailer where all kind of pallets,boxes, machines, drums, sacks, steel poles
    are loaded with fork lifts operated by grumpy underpaid guys that "try" to use every
    cubic inch, because they have too much stuff to queeze into
    And that is not the end of the transport chain!
    How to expect that your boxes will be managed with special care?

What could help? Most transport workers know these devices very well and respect them, in most cases the cargo will be trated careful:
    http://www.shockwatch.com/shipping_h...ator/index.php

By the way.
    One time I picked up in northern France a whole load of cacoa mass with
    destination Iran. It was my job to tell the people in the factory
    that I will go with my truck directly to Iran and they just nodded and said OK.
    In fact the freight changed in Germany to an iranian truck with a nice driver that invited my to a coup of tea.

sanchi

I've been thinking about getting some of those heavy-duty bubble wrap bags (with an extra plastic layer inside) to transport and store framed prints. Uline is one source.

Jon
    my black and white photos of the Mendocino Coast: jonshiu.zenfolio.com

I try to keep my images to 2 standard sizes. I have made 1/4 plywood boxes for them and the boxes have brass corners due to the weight. I have also taken insulation foam, kind of a more dense foam than what one would find in a pelican case and cut with my dado blade on my saw, channels through the foam so that I can keep about 8 prints for 16x20 size and 4 prints for my larger size in them.

They have hinged lids with more foam cut on the top that fits on the top of the box giving me more protection from weather and some security from inadvertent damage.

They are were a bit pricey to make but have lasted well and I've not lost a print since.

I have also found that although more expensive, I like to use anti reflective plexy in the frames instead of glass.

I have also found that although more expensive, I like to use anti reflective plexy in the frames instead of glass.
    Are you talking about plexi with a true anti-reflective coating (like eyeglasses), or the 'non-glare' plexi that has an etched/matte surface?

I know Tru Vue makes a product called Optium, if that's what you're talking about and you know of a place that sells it in cut pieces and is willing to ship, I'd be very interested.

I use both. I have found some local places that I can buy a bit more cheaply and cut it with my table saw, but try this place and see what they can do...

http://www.cmimoulding.com/

I live in Salt Lake City, Utah.

Best of luck,

R