Thread: Inks for digitally enlarged negs

Inks for digitally enlarged negs

I found a local pro lab, JW Labs in Raleigh, that will print on Pictorico with their high end inkjet if I supply the transparency medium.

The guy there asked if the aqueous inks they use in their inkjet will 1) work on Pictorico and 2) be appropriate for the UV processes I'm interested in. Anyone know?

Re: Inks for digitally enlarged negs

You shouldn't have problems printing on Pictorico with an inkjet. Unless it's an old printer, and then there's a trick with taping paper under the transparency to fool the printer into loading the transparent material.

UV process? Are you thinking of using it as a light resist? It works, but it takes some fine tuning.

I definitely plan to do cyanotypes / argyrotypes / Van Dyke, and Pt/Pd may be in my future too.

Quote Originally Posted by DrPablo View Post
    I found a local pro lab, JW Labs in Raleigh, that will print on Pictorico with their high end inkjet if I supply the transparency medium.

The guy there asked if the aqueous inks they use in their inkjet will 1) work on Pictorico and 2) be appropriate for the UV processes I'm interested in. Anyone know?
    It is hard to answer either question without knowing what ink or pigment ink JW Labs uses in their high end inkjet.

Most inks dry well on Pictorico and similar substrates, Inkpress for example, but some inks do not. For example, some of the pigment inks supplied by Cone do not dry well on Pictorico.

The second question, will the output be appropriate for the UV processes, no way to tell unless you test it with a specific process, or measure the Dmax with a transmission densitometer capable of reading UV light. Best way to determine this is to have them print out a step wedge with values from 100% to 0% and have someone measure the densities for you with a UV densitometer.

Sandy King
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon