Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wollensak Raptar 12" telephoto

Wollensak Raptar 12" telephoto

My question is simple, how much bellows does it need to focus infinity? Or at portrait distances on 9x12 (max 280mm bellows)?

There seems to be at least two different models, a f4.5 and f5.6. So i'm also interested on performance differences if anybody has first hand information.

Information on the 15" model is also appreciated!

Re: Wollensak Raptar 12" telephoto

The Wolly catalog I have only has a non-telephoto 12 inch f/4.5 and f/5.6 telephotos only in 8, 10, and 15 inches? The 15 inch telephoto requires a 9 5/16 inch bellows draw at infinity.

I have seen these on ebay many times, clearly marked as telephoto and the shape of the lens barrel tells the same tale... so they do exist, and they are not eve rare items. Thanks for the info on the 15" wolly!

Interesting. They must be post 1950 (or very rare uncatalogued) because all catalogs up through that date only show 8, 10, and 15. For example: http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/...llensak_5.html
    Do you have a link to one of the 12s?

A fair percentage of people selling on e-bay have absolutely no knowledge about the items they sell. If it is Wollensak Telephoto it will say so on the lens.

neophyte

here is one up for sale: http://cgi.ebay.com/Wollensak-12-304...item33609c77f6

coated, so on the younger side; appears to only cover 4.5 x 4.5" from the legend on the lens. In barrel, with a screw thread at base: not sure what it was made for looks more like medium formatish: perhaps 70mm movie film?

As to your original question: my rule of thumb is teles focus at about 2/3 their focal length.
    "In the field of observation chance favours the prepared mind" -- Pasteur

From the square format, I'm guessing an aerial mapping lens. Can't tell scale from the photos but it doesn't look too different from their 15" tele.

Dan

I have two of them, a 15" for my 8x10 and a 10", cammed for my Super Graphic. When focused at infinity the measured distance (roughly) from the shutter plane to the film plane is about 60% of the focal length. This is contrasted with Rudolph Kingslake's statement that telephoto design is limited to about 80% of the focal length.

I get excellent results for both lenses. The 15" is the only lens I have for the 8x10. Although the Schneider 240mm may also work, it is mounted on a Linhof board.
    al

http://cgi.ebay.com/GENUINE-WOLLENSA...7#ht_708wt_911

here is one f4.5 version..

there was another of the f5.6 version also, but can't find it anymore... it didn't have the format markings on it and looked more like a civilïan version

Quote Originally Posted by Fotoguy20d View Post
    From the square format, I'm guessing an aerial mapping lens. Can't tell scale from the photos but it doesn't look too different from their 15" tele.

Dan
    Dan, I agree that its probably for an aerial camera, don't agree that it is a mapping lens. This for two reasons. Mapping lenses must have low distortion, that rules out nearly all, if not all, telephotos. And mapping lenses are usually wide angles, which rules out all telephotos.

That the thing wasn't made for USAF (their lenses are engraved Type I, for reconnaissance, or Type II, for mapping) bothers me a bit. I don't think other air forces bought lenses from Wollensak.

That it doesn't have the usual aerial camera lens pins to accept a spring-loaded filter holder (usually three pins 120 degrees apart at the front) also bothers me. I know that rules are made to be broken, but still ...

Cheers,

Dan