Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problem with Changing Skins

Problem with Changing Skins

My settings call for "vB4 Default" and all is well. However, I prefer "Blackend" late at night for a dimmer screen that's easier on the eyes. Blackend worked fine until I used a PC Cleanup app that messed everything up. Now I'm not able to change skins at all. I doubt it's a browser problem as the same problem exists whether I use Firefox (default) or IE9 (hate it). Any clues?

Re: Problem with Changing Skins

What happens when you try to change the skin ? Or is there nowhere for you to do so ?

Hi, Ken. I go to the skin-change box at the bottom left of the screen and click on Blackend ... nothing happens anymore, not even if I refresh the page. Before the PC Cleanup, when I clicked on Blackend it would immediately change the skin and I didn't have to refresh.

Preston Birdwell

Jerry,

Is the PC Cleanup reversible? If not, and going on the assumption yours is a Windows box, you could try using System Restore to get you back to a point before the clean-up program did its thing.

--P
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

Preston,
    Yes, it's Windows Vista, and I'd try the System Restore as a last resort. I hesitate to try it right now, since it took me about two days to figure out how to log into the forum, because (after the cleanup) when I used my forum bookmark, everything appeared as separate line items left adjusted. AND curiously the login procedure has changed a wee bit, but I can still make it work. I'm hoping to find out exactly where the problem lies before gambling with a restore that could set me back two or three days. BTW, other non-forum bookmarks are not working as well either, so perhaps the problem exists somewhere else in my computer outside the forum. I may need to have my guru figure it out. If no one here has any ideas after a day or so, I'll try the restore. Thanks.

If I select "blackstealth" I cannot get out of that skin without logging out and back in; the skins menu is no longer there. I have IE9, and Windows 7.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

I think the Blackstealth style selection issue is resolved. There was a newer version that fixed it.

Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    If I select "blackstealth" I cannot get out of that skin without logging out and back in; the skins menu is no longer there. I have IE9, and Windows 7.

I too, am still having a few problems with IE9.
    No problems in Firefox. So...you might try Mozilla for awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Westbrook View Post
    I think the Blackstealth style selection issue is resolved. There was a newer version that fixed it.
    Working OKfine now. I actually prefer the Halloween-y colors of Blackend, but thought I'd mention the issue with Blackstealth just so you would know - I appreciate the work you and the others put in to keep this site up and running. (smiling smiley)
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Bodine View Post
    Preston,
    Yes, it's Windows Vista, and I'd try the System Restore as a last resort. I hesitate to try it right now, since it took me about two days to figure out how to log into the forum, because (after the cleanup) when I used my forum bookmark, everything appeared as separate line items left adjusted. AND curiously the login procedure has changed a wee bit, but I can still make it work. I'm hoping to find out exactly where the problem lies before gambling with a restore that could set me back two or three days. BTW, other non-forum bookmarks are not working as well either, so perhaps the problem exists somewhere else in my computer outside the forum. I may need to have my guru figure it out. If no one here has any ideas after a day or so, I'll try the restore. Thanks.
    I tried the System Restore, but it didn't fix the problem. I found that the restore is done every day but there is only limited disk space to retain all the restore data before the system starts overwriting. The retention amounts to about a week's worth of restores, and the PC Cleanup was done before the earliest retained restore (which didn't solve the problem). So I waited too long before doing the System Restore.