Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: is this forum going to vanish?

is this forum going to vanish?

This was the post I was referrign to and looks like the most elegant of the solutions suggested (follow the rambling discussion at: http://greenspun.com/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg.tcl?msg_id=007HYj)

tim a

"I've been a lurker here, and a semi-active participant in the People Photography forum. I was a bit distressed about the prospect of the greenspun servers going away, so I started writing a facsimile of the q-and-a system in a more portable form than ACS is (PHP/mySQL vs. AOLServer/ACS/Postgres/Oracle).

The result is http://joshwand.com/q-and-a/. Mind you, it's not finished yet (most notably missing are email notifications, but that will be added within the next week or so), but the core functionality is there and solid.

My next task after polishing up the service to current levels is to figure out how to move existing content-- I can write a spider, I suppose, but I might ask philg if he can give me raw database dumps of both the forums (and any others that might wish to move) so I can import them directly into my new system.

I also plan on releasing the source code so that others can maintain similar services on most popular UNIX webhosts.

How does this idea sit with the forum?

-- Josh Wand (josh@joshwand.com), April 09, 2002."
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

This was the post I was referring to and looks like the most elegant of the solutions suggested (follow the rambling discussion at: http://greenspun.com/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg.tcl?msg_id=007HYj)

tim a

"I've been a lurker here, and a semi-active participant in the People Photography forum. I was a bit distressed about the prospect of the greenspun servers going away, so I started writing a facsimile of the q-and-a system in a more portable form than ACS is (PHP/mySQL vs. AOLServer/ACS/Postgres/Oracle).

The result is http://joshwand.com/q-and-a/. Mind you, it's not finished yet (most notably missing are email notifications, but that will be added within the next week or so), but the core functionality is there and solid.

My next task after polishing up the service to current levels is to figure out how to move existing content-- I can write a spider, I suppose, but I might ask philg if he can give me raw database dumps of both the forums (and any others that might wish to move) so I can import them directly into my new system.

I also plan on releasing the source code so that others can maintain similar services on most popular UNIX webhosts.

You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

This was the post I was referring to and looks like the most elegant of the solutions suggested (follow the rambling discussion at: http://greenspun.com/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg.tcl?msg_id=007HYj) tim a

If this forum or the box it is hosted on is in any real danger of disappearing, it is likely that I can find a well connected place to host it.

Old School Wayne

It would be nice if someone who knows if this site is doomed or not for sure would chirp in here, so that the nice folks who have offered to replace it could do so. But the news sounded pretty ominous and pretty certain last December, and it seems its goin down slowly as predicted. Maybe some of those offering to help could contact Q. Tuan Long at luong@ai.sri.com (I hope this is current) and see what he has to say. The problem seems to be maintenance, and that would probably be a problem at a new site too. In the meantine I'll just hide my head in the sand and hope it doesnt happen

Last word I read two days ago in the unarchived forum at photonet was that it was being moved there. Now I see it here. Maybe they were referring to it being brought back online since it was off.