Thread: A few Toyo 810M questions

A few Toyo 810M questions

Hello,

I've working with a used Toyo 810M for a few months now and have been figuring out how everything works. In the process, a few quirks have revealed themselves.

It seemed to me that when the back and front standards are in their default 90 degree positions they are not exactly aligned. I picked up a hotshoe level that confirms that, though I'm not sure how accurate it is. Does anyone have any experience changing the default alignment on either the front or rear standard or is this something best done by Toyo?

Also, the knob that locks the front standard is really hard to loosen after its been sufficiently tightened to prevent movement. Is that normal? I've had to use pliers a couple of times.

Lastly, how do you adjust the infinity stops on the camera? I can't seem to slide them.

Thanks for your input!

Rob

Re: A few Toyo 810M questions

I use a laser for alignment.

Bounce if off the GG from the back and adjust the camera so the beam goes back on itself. Then take the GG back off and bounce the laser off a microscope slide held on the back of the lens. Adjust the detents of the front standard so the beam goes back on itself again.

Since the knobs are sticky, you might want to send if off for a CLA. If Toyo still services this model (I suspect they do) I'd send it to them. In a year or so, who knows.

Re: A few Toyo 810M questions

Rob,

Just today I ran in this post:

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...=810M+vertical

However I am not sure if this adresses your problem, you might try to contact Michael Kadillak, he seems quite knowledgeable, and might also chime in so we can all learn.

I also have a 810M, and I did not notice it, but I'll take a close look tonight,

Best,

Cor

Quote Originally Posted by chacabuco View Post
    Hello,

I've working with a used Toyo 810M for a few months now and have been figuring out how everything works. In the process, a few quirks have revealed themselves.

It seemed to me that when the back and front standards are in their default 90 degree positions they are not exactly aligned. I picked up a hotshoe level that confirms that, though I'm not sure how accurate it is. Does anyone have any experience changing the default alignment on either the front or rear standard or is this something best done by Toyo?

Also, the knob that locks the front standard is really hard to loosen after its been sufficiently tightened to prevent movement. Is that normal? I've had to use pliers a couple of times.

Lastly, how do you adjust the infinity stops on the camera? I can't seem to slide them.

Thanks for your input!

Rob