Thread: scans for a book

scans for a book

hello, i need to scan some 4x5 and 8x10 for a book...i have one epson v700 and one screen dts1030. the thing is that im having a lot of troubles with the screen when i work with negatives, colors are always wrong...so my question is, do you think that i can make a good job with my v700?? the books needs to have the best quality, images in the book are around 16" wide...what is the best way to obtain nice results with the epson??

Re: scans for a book

The epson can easily provide a good quality 16X20 print from 4X5 film. You'll probably want to scan at 2400ppi and then down sample the image in photoshop.

The biggest issue with the Epson is the ability to pull shadow detail out of chromes and there really isn't a good method to control this like you can on a drum scanner or Nikon.

I scan in EpsonScan in its professional mode and so far as I've seen, it outperforms silverfast for color negative scans and is on par for slides. Specifically in Silverfast I've noticed a sort of blotchy watercolor filter look in color negative scans which I do not see whatsoever in the EpsonScan results.

You can eek a little more quality out of the epson by fluid mounting, though I don't think I'd fluid mount directly onto the glass with 8X10. I happen to use a betterscanning holder, but there are other options.

thank you for your explanation!!!...

Use the silverfast plugin for photoshop if you want to scan with more control. the preset profiles aren't quite adequate, but you have enough channels to play with. once they're scanned, open the images through camera-raw, then it's much simpler to colour correct etc.