Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Azo print/ Azo toning

First Azo print/ Azo toning

Finally printed off a decent Azo, compared it to the same print on multi-contras t rc paper. BIG difference. The clouds had much more depth, the scene had more depth. After a year of using that multi-contrast definately won't go back to i t for contact printing! It was so frustrating to see places that needed tlc and no way to work around them. Didn't have any really trouble with Azo and Amidol t hough working with fiber paper was interesting to say the least. Perhaps being a woman means I don't squeeze as hard so the whole delicate paper issue most of you speak about wasn't an issue, but wow that curling had me going!!! I did hav e trouble with the toning 2 min in 1:20 going purply brown! It actually is kind of nice, but... Just wanted to say how much this place has helped me over the last year figure out the tough stuff. So Thanks everyone. Anyone know where I c ould get about 10 sheets of grade 3 to give it a try before buying the lot? jul es

You can get Azo from Dan Smith in grade 2 or grade 3 (I got some from him). He sells it in 8x10 and 4x5, in small enough packages that you won't have to spend a lot all at once.

hi, i am very new to AZO... some basic questions here..thanks what is the normal dilution of Amidol?....and developing time? Do you guysbuy Amidol in package or buy bulk chemical to mix?

thanks

Jeff

Nothing against Amidol but give Agfa Neutol WA (the warm tone one) a try. Beautful images; more direct process; easier to work with. As Mike Smith notes, development time is also a factor in image colo

Did you check Ed Buffaloe's site? he has a good article on Azo printing an toning...

hi, what is the address of Ed Buffaloe's sit? thanks

Jeff

You can also use Ethol LPD for developing Azo. Different dilutions give slightly different tones.

I second the recomendation for Agfa neutol WA. It gives a very nice print color with Azo. Develop for one minute. I use a very dilute selenium 1/2 oz. to a half gallon for 3 minutes for permanence only no color change. Save the Amidol for negs that need compesating dev. with a water bath.

Ed's site is www.unblinkingeye.com ....

Glad it worked Jules. You should have received my article "On Printing" with your Azo order. In it I recommend Selenium Toner at 1:128 for 3 minutes at 68 degrees.