Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Redwood National Park area

Redwood National Park area

I will be heading up to the Redwood national park area of California on 9/3. I've never been and am pretty unfamiliar. I will be staying in the Del Norte state park but don't mind traveling around. Hoping to get some redwoods in Fog and maybe some coastal shots...what else should I look for?

I plan to bring my Technika w/ 90mm, 135mm, and 210mm. Probably will bring Velvia and some Delta 100. I will also have a 35mm Minolta to shoot some Kodachrome.

older than most

Re: Redwood National Park area

cmmatthews...head up Hwy 101 northbound into Oregon...Beautiful beaches and headlands...Samuel Boardman and Pistol River area between Brookings and Gold Beach...I will be visiting the area for a couple of weeks late September and early October...enjoy Doug

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Do not miss Prairie Creek. It is magical! I'm going up in October.

Jim

On the outskirts of Crescent City is the Howland Hill Road -- dirt road through the center of Jed Smith Redwoods State Park. Definitely check that out!

Just down the coast from there, are the Del Norte Redwoods -- Damnation Creek Trail (large turnout along the highway, west side)) is a nice one for fog thru the redwoods -- weather permitting, of course! Go up the trail until you reach the top, not far -- then you will be on the top of a west-facing slope with redwoods sweeping below you. If you want to hike down to the ocean, it is not too bad -- steep!

Further down the coast there are a couple things. Just over the Klamath River is the turn off for the mouth of the River and for a stretch of coastal road. Take that to the Drury Parkway, turn right and the road will go up a little then drop down in to Prairie Creek. If you don't do the coastal road, Drury Parkway is the next exit off of Hwy 101. This road is the old highway -- lots of trails just off the road (Check out the Corkscrew tree!). The road continues to a large prairie -- ranger station has a natural history display, then the road comes back to Hwy 101.

A few miles south on 101 is the Davidson Road ( or a few miles north of the town of Orick coming from the south). It heads west over the hills and down to the coast (dirt road -- no trailers, RV's) -- a few more miles of dirt road (and a couple creek-crossings, fairly mellow really) north along the Gold Bluffs is the road end and Fern Canyon. A world-class wonder of the world.

On the weekend, I'll be backpacking with my boys and a friend (and a couple of his grandsons) up along Redwood Creek (just south of Prairie Creek) -- visiting most of the ten tallest trees in the world, swimming in the pools , and generally having a great time. I was planning on taking my Rollei TLR, but now I am thinking of taking in the 4x5 instead -- depends on how much I can load my three 13.5 years old boys!

Enjoy!

Vaughn

Can't wait to come up in October. Just trying to figure out the dates. Looking forward to seeing you again, Vaughn.

Jim

The later it is in October, the nicer will be the turning leaves of the Big-leaf Maples and the Vine Maples along Prairie Creek. A yellow filter really pops them out! Might be doing a weekend up in the Trinity Alps sometime in October -- don't know exactly when yet.

Looking forward to your visit, Jim!

Vaughn

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    The later it is in October, the nicer will be the turning leaves of the Big-leaf Maples and the Vine Maples along Prairie Creek. A yellow filter really pops them out! Might be doing a weekend up in the Trinity Alps sometime in October -- don't know exactly when yet.

Looking forward to your visit, Jim!

Vaughn
    I just got back from a weekend in the southern sierra. Trail of the 100 giants in Sequoia. 20 sheets of 8x10.
    I was thinking the second half of the month of October. Left my calendar in the truck so I'll take a look tomorrow.

Jim

Check out Avenue of the Giants and Richardson Grove SP. Both are on the way, on 101, to Redwood NP from here (Bay Area).

// Atul

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I will hopefully be able to stop a few places going up and coming back.

I asked for suggestions in that area a while back, you may find this thread useful if you hadn't already seen it.