Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Modifying a 5x7 Premo Long Focus Lens Board for Better Lenses

Re: Modifying a 5x7 Premo Long Focus Lens Board for Better Lenses

If you look around, you may be able to find a small convertible rapid rectilinear lens that will easily fit your lensboard. I have a circa 1905 5x7 Seneca camera that has a small Wollensak convertible RR with 8", 14" and 18" markings on the shutter. It is in a 3x3" lensboard that is drilled about equivalent to a modern No.0 shutter. Coverage at 8" is not much more than the film diagonal at f/16, however. Not a lot of room for movements. Plenty of room for the shutter/lens on the lensboard.

Peter Gomena

So I just went ahead and picked up the 250mm. Its a FUJI FUJINON W 250mm f/6.3 COPAL-No.1 Shutter. Looks like it should work well with minimal modification to the lens board. Ideally, the board it comes on will fit but the chances of that are probably slim. The lens should be here in about a week. I'll update when it arrives. In the mean time, any other ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Fragomeni View Post

Haha, do you mean...paper!? At least this is what the shutter blades in the lens that came with the camera, a Gundlach Op. Co., were made of. I took it apart since it was already a loss. I tell ya, I can string down practically any camera and rebuild it with my eyes closed and both hands and one hand tied behind my back but shutters still terrify me. This one I actually managed to get working a little smoother but when I got into the aperture blades (there were completely fused/melted together and warped to death) I tried peeling them apart and re-assembling them (purely for exercise as they would have operated even if I got it) and it was a nightmare. I'd love to be able to CLA and repair a shutter and aperture blades like I can a camera but I just dont think its in the cards.

The Unicum (Victor etc.) shutters are simple, you can disassemble them without fear of not being able to put it all back, at least if you have some basic mechanic skills. Some parts have critical positioning. You can also help yourself with digi photos during the disassembly.
    The shutter blades material is that time "plastic" (I forgot the name of it) that is not fully light tight hence you can see through it (in red) strong light sources.
    Mechanically they were not correctly invented and didn't work properly after their manufacture, therefore they have further "improvements" that made them acceptable at least for the slow speeds.
    They helped to move camera manufacturing from wood workshops to mechanical workshops though...;-)

Quote:
    Poco and Premo were for "photo interested amateur" but all models had detachable lensboards. There was quite a range of lens alternatives. Besides the RR, and the Goerz series III, Zeiss VIIa, there was a rear landscape achromat. In addition, two wide angle cells could be installed in the Victor. My problem with the Victor, or rather the Poco variant, is that it still works - but doesn't give either reliable or reproducable exposure times. If anyone is interested in admiring the woodwork of the Premo, there is a nude Premo Senior on e**y (Germany).

Where did you find the information on the lenses that were available? Can you share a link please. I'd like to pick up a few and see what I can do with it.

As I mentioned before, I have the main Premo catalogue for 1898 in my collection. Apart from the entry for the Premo Long focus, there is additional information throughout the catalogue. It is not available online, I'm afraid. The reprint edition from 1971 has renewed copyright protection. I can send info so you can find it on Abebooks?

As I mentioned before, I have the main Premo catalogue for 1898 in my collection. Apart from the entry for the Premo Long focus, there is additional information throughout the catalogue. It is not available online, I'm afraid. The reprint edition from 1971 has renewed copyright protection. I can send info so you can find it on Abebooks?
    Please do send the information. I'd be interested in seeing that. Are you aware of any way to check the serial number to find the actual year of manufacture for the particular camera?

As others may have a Premo, I'm posting the info here.

The Premo Camera
    Rochester Optical Co.
    Camera, Lenses, Accessories

Illustrated Catalog and Historical Introduction

103 pages plus historical post script
    American Historical Catalog Collection

The Pyne Press, Princeton 1st edition, 1971

lib of congress cat. 78-146207
    isbn 0-87861-005-7
    soft covers

As regards serial numbers (under the front frame, where the bed fits?) I can't help you. There is a progression from brass to nickel plated. Poco is easier, as the company changed it's name many times in the 1890's
    !There are lots on Abebooks (I have no connection with Abebooks) and they are dirt cheap!
    I have just bought a copy for you Francesco as I have an Abe account!

Just wanted to update. I received two of the three lenses I picked up for the Premo Long Focus. One is a period Unicum lens and the other is the FUJINON W 250mm f/6.3 COPAL-No.1 Shutter. The Unicum went right on the camera (after putting it on the original lens board) and the Fujinon is not rigged and ready as well after I made a lens board for it. I haven't put any film through them yet as I'm waiting on an order of TMAX 100 5x7 B&W to come in (probably wont be in for at least 4 more weeks unfortunately) but I anticipate great things. I've been thinking about picking up a 5x7 field camera, actually almost bought a Deardorff 5x7 on ebay today but I used my better judgement given that I have no money left after my recent purchases, but I think with some minor modifications (that wont even have to alter the camera much) I'll be able to use the Premo Long Focus with the Fujinon lens very effectively for 5x7 shooting. I'm in the middle of moving into a new house but when all of my equipment is in one place I'll be adding pictures of the Premo Long Focus with the lenses to my website's camera collection section and I'll probably post them here too so you all can see the beast! I have to admit the camera looks amazing with the big Fujinon lens on it!

I have just bought a copy for you Francesco as I have an Abe account!
    By the way, thank you for the information Steven!