Thread: Paper Coating Problems

Paper Coating Problems

I just got started with coating my own paper. Coating pt/pd worked great, but wh en I tried making salted paper, I got very uneven results. I am using Crane's Pl anotype #90 paper and a glass coating rod. I first coat the paper with the salti ng solution, making sure the paper is covered. After it dries, I coat with silve r nitrate, again making sure the paper is evenly coated. I am using Photorapher' s Formulary's salted paper kit. (I know I can buy machine coated POP paper.)

Between here and there

Paper Coating Problems

One idea is to float the paper on the solution. Check out this link for a very good practical/historical lesson on salted paper:

http://albumen.stanford.edu/library/monographs/reilly/chap3.html
    "Be still and allow the mud to settle."

Paper Coating Problems

I never had much luck with rod coating salted paper. I would agree that floating is about the best way to do it. You'll get some precipitate in your silver nitrate solution, but it can be filtered off once it has settled. By the way, I never had much luck with the swabbing method either. I also wouldn't expect stellar results with that paper, which also happens to be my paper of choice, unless you've sized it with gelatin; the salting solution sinks too deeply into the fibers for my taste. Try floating the paper on a gelatin salting/sizing solution to suspend the image above the paper. Good luck.